In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sonic cleaner for brass

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
Im geting orange lookin brass in my Xmas sonic cleaner. Thought this would be the answer to get away from cob and pins. Help. Not what I expected. . Please advise. Thanx

Comments

• bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats your opinion on sonic cleaners. ?? Ive used cob and pins. Like these better, worse?? Thanx
    edited November -1
    Baking Soda?????
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the old days vinegar and salt would leave brass orange tinted. Leaching some of the tin.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use distilled water. I save it from my dehumidifier.Also the use of the heat feature on the cleaner (if you have one like that) will slightly discolor the brass. Also no more than 20 minutes in the cleaner, then rinse good thru a colander with warm water.
    edited November -1
    B-17 I been using tap water. Does yours come out shiney like new?? And you using a sonic brass cleaner, Correct.??
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost every sonic cleaner I know of comes with a disclaimer that it will get the brass clean but not shiny. You will have to dry tumble (corncob) Afterword a short time to achieve that.
    Are you decapping and sizing before cleaning? I have found that on pistol brass the sonic cleaner will get the primer pocket satisfactorily clean. Not perfect but acceptable.
    If you do a search on here I believe this topic ran the same sort of pattern some time ago. Yes, I am using two sonic cleaners, both with good results for cleaning. I will look for the conversation and post again if I can find it.

Edit: TOO MANY to list Do a search using sonic cleaner as the subject in all forums.