In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Picked a Winner

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
25-06 Rem, Remington Sendero
Nosler Custom Brass
CCI BR2
Sierra 90gr BlitzKing
100 yards, 5 shots from bench with sand bags
IMR4831, 54.5 grs
I didn't even have to do load work-up. I will take this and use the saved powder to kill groundhogs.
I don't even have to change my windage and elevation.

cid__0525131901a_zps51cfe9d4.jpg

That's a staple in the middle of the bull.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sweet I have an older BDL but does not Shoot Nosler partitioned That well.
  • wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on a great group. What does it measure? That is what everyone hopes for when going to the range, but few achieve. If it were mine, I would frame it, but only after showing it to all my shooting friends.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .30 aprox center to edge. could be tighter but with the powder situation and killing to be done, it will do.[8D]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hodgdon website has that at @3200 fps out of a 24" barrel.

That group looks like varmint medicine, for sure.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could have just stopped typing after you said "sendero"[8D]
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice Group... GREAT Recipe !

The more I read 'bout the 25-06... The more I get interested in it... [:p]

I'm a real fan of the 30-06... The 25-06 would be a natural progression for me.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great group. Almost 30 years ago I bought a Ruger No. 1-V in .25-06. It shot 3" groups at 100 yards with factory loads. I started working up loads for it, and found 2 different loads that would shoot groups as low as .25. One was with a 75 gr. bullet at 3600 fps, and the other was with a Speer 100 gr. I called that rifle AT&T because you could "Reach out and touch someone" with it.

The .25-06 is a flat shooting rifle. Yours should be a great varmint gun.
  • BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some H4831sc. Do you know if this powder can be substituted for the IMR?
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boats

Not weight for weight, no. According to burn rate charts, H is somewhat slower than IMR.

Go to the Hodgdon website for better info.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

The numbers are close, but not identical.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boats

NO, they show different grain loads for same bullet [B)]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
  • rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like your group is off by about 1/64th of an inch. :)
    edited November -1
    That is one heck of a load that you came up with. That is a varmint load for sure. I am going to put that one in my reloading book and try it in my 25-06. Thanks for posting it.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was your group with no work up? Wow, imagine what it could be if you tuned it. Great job!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    That was your group with no work up? Wow, imagine what it could be if you tuned it. Great job!

I tried some with bullet seating depth, but like a lot of guys I was trying to conserve components for when it mattered. This next varmint season I will be stocked up on the 90 grainers and IMR4891. When the SHTF with ammo and reloading components I was laying in a hospital bed for four months, and to be quite honest I did not care that I was low on some stuff[:D]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RobOz,

When you said "Winner" I thought I missed out on a giveaway[:D][}:)][:D]

Can I put my name if for it now???[;)][:D][;)][}:)][:D]

Nice shootin'! Hope you are feeling fine when varmint season comes around again.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the kick on that caliber??? I am very recoil sensitive. What kind of game can you use it on???? Oakie
    edited November -1
    It's defiantly not made for high volume varmint shooting. I would think just about anyone can shoot the 25-06 with ease. As for game I know several guys that use it for PA bear, and I would think it would work on elk with a good Barnes or bonded type bullet in the 110-120 range. The 25-06 Remington and the 243 Winchester are two of the best all-a-rounders ever made.