In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass tumbling and windex

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
would/could you use a little windex in your tumbling media to clean up brass instead of or in addition to regular polishes as a cheap additive or cleaner?

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Some grades of Windex contain ammonia, which it destructive to copper alloys. Is it enough to ruin cartridge brass? I don't know for sure, but why mess with it?

2. Why is your "signature" longer than any message I have seen here? It is very distracting. I tend to get overwhelmed by such clutter and not address the actual post. This one just happened to catch my eye.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I add the cheapest, finest auto polish to mine [;)]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I add the cheapest, finest auto polish to mine [;)]

Good to know.
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try mineral of spirits in your walnut media. Be sure and run it at least 15 minutes before brass is added (or the wet media will get inside your brass and be hard as a rock).

Then use car polish in your corn cobb media for polishing the brass.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    1. Some grades of Windex contain ammonia, which it destructive to copper alloys. Is it enough to ruin cartridge brass? I don't know for sure, but why mess with it?

2. Why is your "signature" longer than any message I have seen here? It is very distracting. I tend to get overwhelmed by such clutter and not address the actual post. This one just happened to catch my eye.

If you want, you can turn signatures off by clicking on "profile" at the top of the page. Then click on "turn off signatures". When your internet speed is as slow as mine, I need all the help I can get. [:D]
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    get a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Pour out about 1/3 of it and put in some white fine hand rubbing compound you can buy at any auto parts store till the bottle is full again. Shake and pour about 4 cap fulls in your media and let the tumbler run till the media does not clump and dump in your brass.
  • BoatsBoats Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at a gun show some years ago and one of the people selling there said that they would use just a little dry citric acid in their media and it would clean just about anything. I have never tried it so I can't tell you how good it would work but just thought that I would throw it in.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john w
    get a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Pour out about 1/3 of it and put in some white fine hand rubbing compound you can buy at any auto parts store till the bottle is full again. Shake and pour about 4 cap fulls in your media and let the tumbler run till the media does not clump and dump in your brass.

Why go to that trouble when ne auto polish is cheap [;)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Windex is a bad idea. The other suggestions are just fine. I put a couple of teaspoons of Marvel mystery oil into fresh walnut media and let it run for a 1/2 hour before putting in the brass. It keeps the dust down and seems to help clean the brass just fine.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NU Finish car wax,been using it for years in tumbling media.Dump a capful in and let it run for 15-30 minutes before putting the brass in.
  • kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Learning stuff here...got to try that Nu Finish...thanks