In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gas Operating System ??

At a glance, would you say the gas operating system in a Remmy 742 is more or less "robust" than that in a Garand??
What I'm getting at here is whether it can be assumed (God I hate that word) that one (Garand vs Rem 742) will tolerate "hotter" loads than the other?

What say you??

Comments

• llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It isn't so much the chamber pressure (what SAAMI specs out) but the pressure curve. Wiht some loads - like the Hornady Light Magnum - the pressure curve is changed, which is why the Garand and M1a can bend op rods, etc. With the FAL and the adjustable gas system, you can change the size of the gas port and regulate it to whatever ammo you are using.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With correct ammo the Grand will last longer, the 742 is nicer to carry. I like the system that was in my Belgian BAR in 30-06.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    One Garand Will outlast 10 Rem 742, OR MORE many Many MORE.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as the gas system is concerned, the 742 has a more balanced system with double action bars while the Garand has a single lopsided operating rod over twice as long. The problems seen in the 742 stem from trying to make a lightweight hunting rifle rather than a heavy soldier proof battle rifle.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, the Garand was purpose-built as a battle rifle.. tough as a tank and near as heavy after a long march. The Remington autos were purpose built for hunting...easier carry and not designed to be dropped, run over, used like a club, and then keep on firing.

For an all around never-gonna-quit rifle I'll take the Garand's gas/bolt system.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks for rthe replies y'all......I think my question was answered
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One was designed for just a couple of types of rounds and a life span of 100,000 rounds. The other was designed for hunting, with a very wide range of loads and a total life of "maybe" 20,000 rounds
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will tell you right now, not only will the 742 not tolerate hotter loads than the Garand, the accuracy goes to crap as well.

I suggest shooting standard loads in your 742. Just like the Garand use faster powders in relativity to bullet weight, i.e. Varget is as slow as you want to go with a 150 gr. bullet. 4350 is as slow as you want to go with a 180 gr. I haven't generally found the 740/742/7400 to be all that accurate either with heavier loads. They work for closer shooting, but I wouldn't range out with them.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    I will tell you right now, not only will the 742 not tolerate hotter loads than the Garand, the accuracy goes to crap as well.

I suggest shooting standard loads in your 742. Just like the Garand use faster powders in relativity to bullet weight, i.e. Varget is as slow as you want to go with a 150 gr. bullet. 4350 is as slow as you want to go with a 180 gr. I haven't generally found the 740/742/7400 to be all that accurate either with heavier loads. They work for closer shooting, but I wouldn't range out with them.

Thanks Sandwarrior, that response was like you had read my mind [;)]