In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Casting alloy ??

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with Lyman # 2 with the proper lube it is hard enough for anything. If you can afford the cost order enough to get free shipping.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There is a better place to look Price wise double click my user name and send P.M.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot lots of linotype away, same for straight wheel weight. Have you ask around locally. I think you can get lead for $1 a pound. Softer bullets will work better for hunting. Straight lino can be very hard, some recovered for a dirt bank look so nice that you would be tempted to shoot them again.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Rotometals is a fine company, but you pay a premium.

WHile I have enough lead to last me for years, when I've bought it, it was through the swapping/selling section on the cast boolit forum. Usually you can get range scrap or old wheelweights (perfectly fine for 95% of applications) for $1-$1.30/lb, plus flat rate shipping- $12.95 for 50 lbs.

However, if you really want linotype for sweetening an alloy (I wouldn't advise just shooting it as is, too expensive, and overly hard), then that's not a BAD price. Personally I find there is enough antimony in wheelweights to harden things, if you add 1/2 lb of leadless solder (usually mainly tin with a little antimony) per 10 lb of weights; air drop for pistol, water drop for rifle.