In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

357 Magnum HEAVY bullet

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
Anyone got a good load data for a .357 Revolver using 200 grain bullets?

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Sorry, 180gr is the heaviest I've ever used in the 357.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using data for the 38 Special. There should be lots
    of loads for the 200 gr bullet in that case.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    In Handloader No. 288 (February 2014) there was a great article by John Haviland on loading heavy bullets for a 357 Mag. For 200gr bullets he used these loads to good success.

LBT 358 200 FN Cast, 1.62 COL:

H110 13.0gr 955 fps CCI550
    HS6 6.5gr 801 fps CCI500
    2400 12.0gr 955 fps CCI500
    IMR 4227 13.5gr 1,020 fps CCI550

195gr Lyman 358430 Cast, 1.676 COL:

Unique 5.5gr 902 fps CCI500
    2400 12.0 1,022 fps CCI500
    4756 7.0 978 fps CCI500
    IMR 4227 12.0 907 fps CCI550
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you! I already use 2400, just could not find any listings for round that heavy. This is for a Dan Wesson with a 10 inch bbl.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've used the Lyman 358430 and the Remington factory 200-grain all-lead swaged bullet that they designed for the .38 Special, in the .357. The powder in both was Winchester 296 at the max, but I don't remember the exact charge weight. These loads were fired from a 6-inch S&W, and shot appreciably high with the rear sight bottomed out. But they were accurate. Depending on your rear sight, you may need a taller front sight. If memory serves, velocity was over 1,200. The sectional density of these things, even at 1,200, I found made them hard to stop in any soft medium. When they had penetrated about as far as a 150-grainer would altogether, they would turn sideways and keep on truckin', causing even more damage.
    edited November -1
    Thanks again. Heavy barreled 15-2VH, used for deer hunting (Eastern Whitetail, 50 yards) I hunt some mountain laurel thickets where 50 yards is a LONG shot. Have been shooting 185 hard cast, but scored a few hundred rounds of 200 grainers mixed in with other things in some horsetrading.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Lyman manual that lists a load for their #358430 bullet at 195 grains with 2400 starting at 9.5 grains @ 877fps to 11 grains @1018fps. You could start with the base load and work up.
    edited November -1
    62- a belated thank you for the info.
  • blazerhpblazerhp Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by machine gun moran
    I've used the Lyman 358430 and the Remington factory 200-grain all-lead swaged bullet that they designed for the .38 Special, in the .357. The powder in both was Winchester 296 at the max, but I don't remember the exact charge weight. These loads were fired from a 6-inch S&W, and shot appreciably high with the rear sight bottomed out. But they were accurate. Depending on your rear sight, you may need a taller front sight. If memory serves, velocity was over 1,200. The sectional density of these things, even at 1,200, I found made them hard to stop in any soft medium. When they had penetrated about as far as a 150-grainer would altogether, they would turn sideways and keep on truckin', causing even more damage.

I am working up loads for a 4" Model 28 S&W. It needs a new rear sight blade. Do you happen to know the height of the rear sight blade on that 6" S&W? I have a couple of choices and was hoping to order the correct height for long range shooting.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blazerhp

I am working up loads for a 4" Model 28 S&W. It needs a new rear sight blade. Do you happen to know the height of the rear sight blade on that 6" S&W? I have a couple of choices and was hoping to order the correct height for long range shooting.

It was a Model 19 that was purchased new, and came with whatever sight was stock.

Either a shorter rear sight blade or a taller front sight is required. A taller front sight gives much more latitude for sight regulation with 200-grain bullets. You have an M28, and the front sights on those are milled integral with the barrel. They can be planed off and the base dovetailed or slotted for a taller blade. On the M27's, the front blades are slotted and pinned, and are replaceable. I currently shoot 200-grainers over 5 grains of Blue Dot from a .38 Special M15, and I was able to regulate the load by lowering the rear blade height with a file, with commensurate deepening of the notch, and you may be able to do it with an M28.
    edited November -1

It was a Model 19 that was purchased new, and came with whatever sight was stock.

Either a shorter rear sight blade or a taller front sight is required. A taller front sight gives much more latitude for sight regulation with 200-grain bullets. You have an M28, and the front sights on those are milled integral with the barrel. They can be planed off and the base dovetailed or slotted for a taller blade. On the M27's, the front blades are slotted and pinned, and are replaceable. I currently shoot 200-grainers over 5 grains of Blue Dot from a .38 Special M15, and I was able to regulate the load by lowering the rear blade height with a file, with commensurate deepening of the notch, and you may be able to do it with an M28.

Thanks for the advice.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1

It's much easier t change the sight blade. I have about for different heights in stock, some real short ones [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters

It's much easier t change the sight blade. I have about for different heights in stock, some real short ones [;)]
    edited November -1
    Dick,

I'll be in touch. I have some honey dos getting in the way of my shade tree gun smithing . I've been away from the sight blade height measurements for couple months. I have them noted and will be in touch.
    I have some 170s to load but the 200s are definitely intriguing. Do they use a gas check? If not how bad is the leading?

Russell
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Lotsa data on IHMSA forums for loading heavy bullets in 357mag..These guys shooting heavy frame will do crazy things

in this caliber.. They will use heavy 200-250 gr .358 rifle bullets intended for 35Rem or 35Whelen...Most are using 38spcl

wadcutter cases for MAX pdr capacity..Lil Gun is popular--crammed full and compressed... Freedom Arms Silh revolvers seem to

loved best followed by DW..S&W revolvers stay home when these guys play..0f course theres always the 357 RedHawk
    edited November -1
    You know I was just cleaning my new to me Model 28 and noticed some pretty significant flame cutting. I couldn't remember if they made a 357 Redhawk. I guess they do! I'll probably investigate the upper safe limits of the Model 28 and then look into getting a Redhawk and ramping it up. Thanks for the tip.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    ln my early IHMSA silh days some guys used to load their 357s with 200gr Speer .358 rifle bullets in Winchester 38 Spcl wadcuter cases. Ther powder of choice was Win 540..Small magnum rifle primer..these bullets worked ONLY in wadcutter cases. Wad cutter cases are thinner and have more case capacity than standard 38spcl cases.. This is done to allow the wadcutter bullet deeper seating that standard bullets
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    ln my early IHMSA silh days some guys used to load their 357s with 200gr Speer .358 rifle bullets in Winchester 38 Spcl wadcuter cases. Ther powder of choice was Win 540..Small magnum rifle primer..these bullets worked ONLY in wadcutter cases. Wad cutter cases are thinner and have more case capacity than standard 38spcl cases.. This is done to allow the wadcutter bullet deeper seating that standard bullets
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

Good dope, thanks. Sounds like a project!