In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ultra Sonic Cleaners?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I'm, again, thinking about purchasing one of these. I had an ultra sonic cleaner about 2 years ago and ended up sending it back. The main problem that I had was that after you take the brass out of the machine and solution you are to wash the brass off with water. (Or at least I believe that is what the instructions stated.) After I washed the brass I let them dry on a towel for at least a day. The problem that kept happening was that many of the brass became significantly corroded on the exterior and interior. Any constructive remarks are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to boil the de-primed brass in boiling water. When you pour off the hot water shake the brass, spread it out and it will dry quickly and not corrode.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the clothes dryer with the flat shoe rack.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys - great ideas!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most do not know when using an Ultra Sonic cleaner, Tap water and filtered water will render poor results. By using such, all you are doing is etching the impurity's of the water into your brass thus the crosion.

When you use an Ultra sonic cleaner, (DI) Distilled Water is the only water recommended. Not only for your parts, but for your tank as well.

Cleaning solutions are also not equal/neutral in a UC tank.

Lyman offers some ultra sonic cleaning additives along with a few others MFG's Hornady etc. But the MOST IMPORTANT (See bold text!!!)

Hope that helps ya-[:)]
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, and I've been getting great results with tap water and Dawn for several years.
    I hope my brass doesn't hear about this.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Gee, and I've been getting great results with tap water and Dawn for several years.
    I hope my brass doesn't hear about this.

Its ok but not the best, water quality is the issue in most cases. I don't want to come off sounding the wrong way, But I am speaking of laboratory/clean room grade standards that can be achieved by using the methods I listed above.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I don't wash 'em.:)
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I just use tap water, some citric acid powder, and a shot of dawn. I don't care if they aren't perfectly shiny, I want to get the lube and dirt off.

Downside is, you can't do a whole lot of brass at once. Really a tumbler is the only solution for that, and stainless steel pins are the way to go to get inside and outside squeaky clean. Personally I don't care about that, and honestly don't care if the brass is shiny so long as it's clean.
  • JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought an RO unit for drinking water a few years ago. Has it's own faucet at the sink and a 3 gallon tank that's always under pressure, in line with the water line. Installed it myself. It's about 20 or less TDS water. I imagine some places have water that's really hard on brass.

An RO unit isn't a bad addition for your home. Couple hundred bucks online with the filters. The membranes last for a few years. Filters can be replaced once a year on city or 6 months on well. Takes all the sediments, chlorine, fluoride out. You'll notice every subtle bad taste in water while on the road once you get used to the good stuff. Much better for you and hydrates you better because it's easier for your body to process. Oh yeah, works great for cleaning brass too. [;)]