In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

am I a thief?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
went to a new public range in the area today. when done, I scrounged all the brass out of the trash can.

It wasn't separated or anything so I'm 99.999999% certain it was just going to be taken to the dump and I couldn't let all those shiny brass cases go to waste.

Did I steal it?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only to the dumpster diver that was looking to take the brass for himself.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some ranges have a brass can for re-cycle, they sell it for scrap and use the money for range improvements and such. If it was in the trash can I would have grabbed it too.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Mayhaps... some sort of etiquette surely dictates that you should have inquired (or at least attempted to) before assuming the brass was designated as "trash", regardless of the obvious assumption (which I agree with, BTW)..........
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's in the trash, I take it.

We have a box for bad brass that goes to the recycler.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Pa game commission range. It's basically public. I don't feel awkward about picking up empties at all. I never check the g-cans unless I'm the only one there. But I only take what I'll reload or curiosities. I always look for .410 hulls. I reload them and they don't wear very well. I once found 12 pieces of 30-378 brass in the box they came in. I kept them. I noticed the price on the box was $75.00 or so. I still have them and don't know what I'm going to do with them.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    Mayhaps... some sort of etiquette surely dictates that you should have inquired (or at least attempted to) before assuming the brass was designated as "trash", regardless of the obvious assumption (which I agree with, BTW)..........

We were the only ones there. There's no range master or supervisor there ever.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well...maybe.

I shoot at three ranges. All collect brass.

1 uses it to fund the junior rifle program.
    1 uses it to fund range improvements.
    1 processes and resells it to keep range costs low.

All of them have no issue with you taking some for personal use; but if you take it all with the intent to sell, they frown on it. I would imagine if you're sitting on a 5 gallon can of 9mm empties already and you took more, they'd frown on that too.

If an unsupervised range with no policy, then yours for the taking. Otherwise, yeah, you should find out before you take it at any range.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The measure of a man is by what he does when he know's he can get away with it."

I suspect you already know your actions were questionable or you wouldn't be asking.

quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Public range, brass thrown in the trash can means open season to me.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    You were cleaning up your mess and collecting the discards of others. If there is no indication otherwise you can't be faulted.
    JMHO

SS
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Trash can? No problem, take 'em. Along with any ammo boxes you need.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    Public range, brass thrown in the trash can means open season to me.

^^^^^^ This.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    went to a new public range in the area today. when done, I scrounged all the brass out of the trash can.

It wasn't separated or anything so I'm 99.999999% certain it was just going to be taken to the dump and I couldn't let all those shiny brass cases go to waste.

Did I steal it?

NO
  • 4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say thanks for removing someone's trash!
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot at a trap range many years ago, that had a rule posted,
    Any empty shells on the ground belong to the range.
    My friends with the 1100 Remingtons hated it. I had a o/u.[;)]
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1

Well then, in that case, NO........
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Trash,no signs...thank you for recycling... [:)]