In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5x55mm ???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Just got a model 70 fwt in 6.5x55mm. Don't really have a particular use for it, but like most guns I have I decided that I wanted it. Thinking that it will probably get used for deer. I have no ammo or brass for it yet. Thinking that 120 grainers around 2500 fps or so would be a great little thing for the 250 yard blacktail. Was looking at the auction below to get me started shooting and a brass supply since brass alone seems quite high. Thoughts on the speed, weight, ammo below or any recipes? Thanks.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/584056030

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

They list data for 85 - 160 gr bullets for your Swede with 22 powders. I haven't loaded for the Swede in a long time, but I like a full case and the heavier bullets.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/569227/lapua-reloading-brass-65x55mm-swedish-mauser-box-of-100

My Lyman 49th has data but without pressures.

added Back in the day Norma was good brass.

I always try and by new rifle brass by the 200 from the same lot. I lightly champher the inside of the neck and flash hole deburr them all after making sure they will chamber. Next I load them with a good cast bullet properly sized to the bore to fire form them. Next is a trim to length, followed by inside and out champhering. I neck size only. Firearms that require full length sizing are usually sold or traded. They are then placed in boxes so I can keep track of the # of reload and the data. I like the Lyman Loverin cast bullet 266455 130gr.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

First of all congratulations on the M70 purchase in 6.5 x 55 Swede! You will really enjoy this combination.

Now, down to the meat and 'taters:

The auction you list for the Federal Fusion ammunition is a waste of time and money if you're considering reloading after you shoot the original ammunition. Federal brass is soft and not worth the investment for folks that reload.

Yes, new brass is expensive now when compared to pre-hoarding days, especially considering that Remington and Winchester have backed out of the market voluntarily in order to sell loaded ammunition. There is a small amount of overrun brass available but not anything significant. That means that we are stuck buying the cheapest brass PPV or spending significantly more to get Lapua or Norma. This will depend on your rationale though.

I buy a lot of Lapua for the longer life of the brass. I can get upwards of 15 reloads per case with most of my hunting and some competition loads. That, in and of itself, will mitigate the initial cost of $70-80.00/100 pieces. I would not buy anything from Federal with the thought of reloading. PPV you might get 4-5 reloads from it and that's all. I would skip Nosler because they are more expensive than Lapua. Stupid.

Reloading:

Getting down to 2500 fps with a 120 gr. load and a full case of powder is not in the cards. That low velocity is usually reserved for those heavier bullets from the old days of surplus ammunition and the fear that folks will try to shoot hotter loads in the old M94/96 Swedish Mausers.

I have a low pressure (~40,000 psi) load for the 125 gr. Nosler Partition using Re-25 which will get you down to about 2700 fps, and still burn almost all of the powder. That should yield about 1,400 ft/lbs of energy at the target for 250 yards. Otherwise you can try some of the cooler burning powders in an attempt to slow the velocity down. The ideal would be 160 gr. bullet and fluffy, fill the case, powder.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Enjoy the new toy!

Best.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    toad67,

First of all congratulations on the M70 purchase in 6.5 x 55 Swede! You will really enjoy this combination.

Now, down to the meat and 'taters:

The auction you list for the Federal Fusion ammunition is a waste of time and money if you're considering reloading after you shoot the original ammunition. Federal brass is soft and not worth the investment for folks that reload.

Yes, new brass is expensive now when compared to pre-hoarding days, especially considering that Remington and Winchester have backed out of the market voluntarily in order to sell loaded ammunition. There is a small amount of overrun brass available but not anything significant. That means that we are stuck buying the cheapest brass PPV or spending significantly more to get Lapua or Norma. This will depend on your rationale though.

I buy a lot of Lapua for the longer life of the brass. I can get upwards of 15 reloads per case with most of my hunting and some competition loads. That, in and of itself, will mitigate the initial cost of $70-80.00/100 pieces. I would not buy anything from Federal with the thought of reloading. PPV you might get 4-5 reloads from it and that's all. I would skip Nosler because they are more expensive than Lapua. Stupid.

Reloading:

Getting down to 2500 fps with a 120 gr. load and a full case of powder is not in the cards. That low velocity is usually reserved for those heavier bullets from the old days of surplus ammunition and the fear that folks will try to shoot hotter loads in the old M94/96 Swedish Mausers.

I have a low pressure (~40,000 psi) load for the 125 gr. Nosler Partition using Re-25 which will get you down to about 2700 fps, and still burn almost all of the powder. That should yield about 1,400 ft/lbs of energy at the target for 250 yards. Otherwise you can try some of the cooler burning powders in an attempt to slow the velocity down. The ideal would be 160 gr. bullet and fluffy, fill the case, powder.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Enjoy the new toy!

Best.

That's some great info, thanks! When you mention PPV brass is that Privi Partisan, or something like that? Also, how does Hornady brass stack up against the others? Thanks.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

Yes, it's Prvi Partizan either ammunition or brass.

Best.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 6 rifles chambered in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

While I have a penchant for vintage norma brass and vintage norma loaded ammo with the oryx heads...

The most consistent and accurate ammo at 100 yds with 10 round groups from a bench rest was PMC.

I tested 26 different ammo types and across the board amongst all comers the PMC won out.

Yes I know you will be skeptical but try it.

Mike
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    120, 139 & 142gr s/p will all be sweet & drop all targeted ! Its a great calibre & very forgiving for re-loading.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been loading 65x55 for years with 140gr bullets and IMR3031 powder.
    I've never been disapointed.
    edited November -1
    What do you fellas think of this auction??

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/584078891
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's good brass.

Good price.

Good investment.

Buy it.

Mike
    edited November -1
    I just bought 100 rounds. If you guys need brass this is probably the best bet. He buys it directly from Norma. It is the brass they use in their testing guns.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/584677082
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toad67,

Since you plan on loading light it may never be an issue. But, loading Norma up to max with new brass is a no-no as well. While the brass is extremely consistent, like Lapua, they do not make the case heads as hard during manufacture. It takes a couple loadings to work-harden them so you can load up without spreading primer pockets.

As to PP brass, I have some that has lasted quite well and others that haven't lasted four loads. Depends on when it was made, and what cartridge you got it in. Overall, it's a crapshoot. But, at least temporarily a useable one.

Without question, for long lasting reloading, Lapua is the way to go.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Toad67,

Since you plan on loading light it may never be an issue. But, loading Norma up to max with new brass is a no-no as well. While the brass is extremely consistent, like Lapua, they do not make the case heads as hard during manufacture. It takes a couple loadings to work-harden them so you can load up without spreading primer pockets.

As to PP brass, I have some that has lasted quite well and others that haven't lasted four loads. Depends on when it was made, and what cartridge you got it in. Overall, it's a crapshoot. But, at least temporarily a useable one.

Without question, for long lasting reloading, Lapua is the way to go.

Never knew that, thanks for the info. IIRC, the manual said that 42-43 grains of H4350 is the middle of the road for a 129 grainer, and that's about where I think I want to be. Definitely more reading o do though.