In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading

docsgunsmithingdocsgunsmithing Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I came into possession of a Pacific DL 150 reloader, but it came with no manual, so I have no Idea what order the shot shell must go thru in order to be reloaded, can someone with the same model or the knowledge help me.
Thanks

Comments

• docsgunsmithingdocsgunsmithing Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    loading data for .308 caliber ftx bullets
    edited November -1
    Just got some 125 gr slugs for a 30-30 post 1964 Winchester. My data is for 110 or 150 gr loads. I use IMR 4064 powder. Does anyone have data for this type of workup? I bought these when it was impossible to get any type of components. Thanx Obama!
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Llama girl
    edited November -1
    ok i have read threw the two pages here, didnt find what im looking for, if i go an buy a lee turrent kit, what else would i need beside the dies/powder/tumbler. to get this into operation. from watching the guys on you tube they dont use the little primer cleaner tool, unless they did that before making the videos. also i would buy a digitl scale for powder weigh ups. now i have searched,maybe not under the right keywords, but i have looked for the answers.
    edited November -1
    I have a 40-63 ballard What's best, Black powder or pyrodex?
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of starting to reload my ammo and I'm wondering what is the best set for the least amount of money.
    edited November -1
    Hello Everyone, I'm Joe. It has been 15 minutes since the last time I reloaded. I have been addicted for 3 years now. When I reload, time stands still. On my days off, I reload. I am obsessed with accuracy and getting that sub MOA at 200 yards for my simple hunting rifle. When I go to bed at night, I think on how to make my bench rest more sturdy and strap my gun in so when I do my ladder at 200 yards, human error is taken out of the equation.

Someone once told me that I might not be the only one.That there are more out there.

My name is Joe and I am addicted to reloading.

[:D]
    edited November -1
    Would like to know if someone could help with question I have. Thinking about a hornady lock n load ap wondering if I can use the dies I already have or do I have to use hornady dies.THX Ron
    edited November -1
    I think I have made the decision to get on the reloading band wagon. I'm looking for someone in the nor cal---east of Sacramento area as a tutor. From walking me through the purchase of a dependable set up to educating me on the first run. I have lots of brass--38, 9mm 40, 45, 44, 223 243 308 and soon--44.40. I'm a tactile learner so hands on with a mentor is far more effective to me as opposed to just buying equipment and reading a book. Plus---meeting new people.

Thanks in advance
    Bret
    edited November -1
    Tell me about reloading. What do I need to have? Would this cover all of the tools I need? http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005085003
    All I want to reload right now is 40cal and 30-06. How much money can a person save by reloading? How many times can the brass cases be used?
    I'm sure I will think of more questions later.
    edited November -1
    I want to get into reloading what is the best press to go with. I have heard alot of good about a dillon press??? are they worth the $$$. if so what model
    edited November -1
    hello all im thinking about getting into relaoding and i have a few questions
    i want to reload rifle and pistol do i have to get differnt presses or just die?
    and i alos want to load muliple shotgun gauges do i have to get differnt presses or can i get conversions
    and what are the best ones for beginners
    thanks in advance for your time and expertice
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Marlin guide gun for hunting in 45/70. With the introduction of the 450 with the new pointed ballistic tip bullets, I would like to know if I can use these bullets in my 45/70 reloads.
    edited November -1
    I am in the process of looking for equipment. I want something that I can reload my rifles as well as my 9mm. Is there one that is better than the other? Any help would be appreciated.
    Ike
    edited November -1
    I am looking for some help trying to find some lead bb size shot any help would be appreciated
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read more
    Go to the mult reloading forums
    But the best is a local reloader who will put you under her wing
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For shotgun shells its lots easier to have a press for each gauge, changing the bushings for powder/shot is easy and quick. Steel shot doesn't shear easy get a press made for steel shot, you will be happier.

A single stage rifle/pistol press you need dies and a shell holder to change, exceptions 38 Special dies and shell holder will load 357 Mag with adjustment, some 357 only dies will not crimp 38's. A 30-06, a .270W, .280R, 45ACP etc uses the same shell holder
    Read/watch vidios and try and find a reloader to show you the ropes and you can try their gear to help you figure what works for your needs.

Some used gear can be a real bargin others can be trashed if used wrong.

Quality gear will last lifetimes if taken care of and is worth the price, crapy stuff is no bargin.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read a LOT more!
    Post a bit less.
    Read a LOT MORE!!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you shoot a lot it will be hard to make reloading 12 & 20 gauge worthwhile.
    .410 & 28 will save quite a bit much more quickly. I quit a long time ago because I could never get the crimps to hold on those (*^%*#%$^& newfangeled plastic shells. I kept reloading my paper shells until the primer pockets wore out or the ends frayed too much.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Step 1- buy a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. You can snag one cheap off Amazon. Read it before buying anything.

You CAN use same single stage press for rifle and pistol, shotgun needs its own.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    docsgunsmithing,

We have a reloading forum right here at Gunbroker:

Competition Shooting and Reloading:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

Use the search feature to get through the topics that don't interest you and concentrate on the ones that will help answer your questions.

Don't hesitate to ask these same questions on that forum as well since you will get the advice of a number of members who are accomplished reloaders of both metallic and shot shells.

Use the recommendations for reading resources. Start with the A,B,C's book but also buy or borrow some reloading manuals which always contain reloading practices sections.

Best.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    just about every reloader i know has told me that you dont(or shouldnt) get into reloading with the intention of saving money. this doesnt work for two reasons.

one, it takes so long to amortize the initial investment in gear/supplies, along with the time necessary to do it that by the time you're actually running a profit its basically moot.

two, when you start rolling your own, you shoot more than you previously did. while you're still getting each round cheaper, you're shooting more and your cost per annum to shoot actually rises.

everybody has told me not to get into reloading to save money, but to be able to tune loads to what my guns like and to be able to have ammo even if theres a shortage on the shelves(assuming appropriate components have been stockpiled). of course, this argument is focused on common calibers and configurations. if you're already set up to reload, you can save money by reloading oddballs a lot more effectively than common production calibers. you'll drive yourself batty trying to get into the black saving 2 cents a around in 9mm...

anyway, thats just what ive been told. everybody has their own reality. i dont currently reload as im not in a position to do it right. as other have said, there are plenty of resources for you to research before you get started. our reloading forum along with others are great places to start, along with reams of printed matter.
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing to think about is, can you set and do repetitive tasks for hours?

I got setup to reload a 222 Rem Mag and about went batty trying to do it. Found out I just am not a reloader. Not sure if a Dillon would have helped or not. I bet not even if it did poop out a round every pull of the handle.

Now if they put spinning wheels and bells on them and had pretty girls serving free drinks, I could set there and pull the handle all night.

Just think, 3 Bars, Jackpot 50 rounds in one pull.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Since you are nearly at your ATE post limit I will kick this over to the folks in our Reloading Forum for additional attention.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy several reloading books, and read them first. Then you will have an elementary understanding of equipment, components, and what each tool is for.

After that, your questions will gain you a better understanding than what you will have at that time, etc etc etc

I reseearched for a year or more before I purchased equipment. THEN, I went to a friend's house, who reloaded, and he gave me several sessions/lessons in the process, so that when I went home, I was in a position to start on my own.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    Read more
    Go to the mult reloading forums
    But the best is a local reloader who will put you under her wing

+1 If there is a time to be * retentive in your life this is it...[:)]
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I never read anything on reloading, i hate books. I saw it done got the recipies & stuck to them, give or take a grain ! I some time cross reference data for diffrent powders to check burn rate..thats it ! easyyyyyy[^]

The only thing that didnt do well, was the object the barrel was facing [:0][^]