In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading for 9MM

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
I have a bunch of red dot and 124G FMJ for the 9MM. In looking at the reloading in Lees he does not have a load for 124 G bullets in red dot but there is one for 125 G FMJ. Any reason why I can't use the load for the 125 G bullet for my 124 G. Difference is so small I would think I could but want to get a sanity check.

Comments

• Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load 'em...shoot 'em....enjoy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I thought - Thanks!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always safer to ask. Lighter bullets can usually be loaded with heavier bullet data of the same type. For example you need to be careful with solid copper bullets (more bearing/drag surface) than a regular copper jacketed bullet of about the same weight, could be an issue at the upper end of the loading data.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again. I don't need hot loads so the most I usually do is mid-point between min and max loads.

Second question - have some that are FMJ but look to be brass instead of copper. Harder alloy so how does that affect the load?
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    My old Speer manual (#10) shows Red Dot with two different 125gr bullets:

125gr Soft Point
    4.4gr 986 FPS
    5.0gr 1139 FPS

125gr Round Nose
    4.0gr 981 FPS
    4.5gr 1111 FPS

As with any load you need to work up slowly, especially if you are using different bullets or bullets of different construction then those listed in the manual. Just look at the difference above with two bullets of the same weight but of different construction for a good example of this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for the help.