In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEF Single shot question

Guys, I am considering buying a NEF single shot in 25-06 with the 26" barrel. It has had the trigger worked on because it is outstanding. What I am wondering is what some of you have experienced as far as accuracy out of these guns. Thanks in advance, Mark

Comments

• GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have one in 44 mag,mines extremely accurate at 100 yards.[:)]
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I have a 223 and did have it in 17hmr. Very nice guns for the money.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload and work up loads for guns and the NEF's are ok! and usually accurate unless you get hold of the used ones especially in 223 that have had lots of the FMJ steel hull type cheap chaina ammo fired through the bore! Seems it ruins the chamber area, extraction problems and the rifling go away! (The 44 mags (pistol caliber ammo) are normally accurate and felt re-coil is at the low end!
    One thing I've noticed that seems the calibers above 308, like 30:06, etc, have felt re-coil! (the 243 is Ok for felt re-coil, but appears the 308 is at very upper end for sensitive recoil people!

I've bought replacement barrels sometime back at approx $100 and the scope base included, just send them (NEF) the receiver so as they can headspace the new barrel! (I think maybe NEF is now owned by Marlin!

The 25;06 may give you a good felt recoil bump, but you won't notice when hunting, but may feel when shooting paper! (I've never fired the NEF, 25;06, just my opinion from firing the other calibers)
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My new Handi in 223 gets under an inch groups at 100 yards, using my handloads.

And mine has a very heavy trigger.

I'm actually thinking about having the trigger worked on, but I"m going to give it a few thousand rounds to settle in, first.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You wrote:

I'm actually thinking about having the trigger worked on, but I"m going to give it a few thousand rounds to settle in, first.
    Just some info you might want to look into before attacking the trigger pull!
    Seems like I might have seen a note in NEF's instruction manual about warranty void if trigger is altered while under warranty and I may have seen a note about the gun might start snapping due to the safety hammer block bar not operating correctly if the trigger pull is too light! (although I've seen several of the 223'sa that has decent trigger pull, like 3 lbs)
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    You wrote:

Just some info you might want to look into before attacking the trigger pull!
    Seems like I might have seen a note in NEF's instruction manual about warranty void if trigger is altered while under warranty and I may have seen a note about the gun might start snapping due to the safety hammer block bar not operating correctly if the trigger pull is too light! (although I've seen several of the 223'sa that has decent trigger pull, like 3 lbs)

I've seen them with nice triggers, too. 44shotdoctor's has a really sweet (compared to mine) trigger. Mine must've been a Monday Morning Gun. Or is it Friday Afternoon?
    Whatever the case, I miss my Canjar-equipped Savage some.

And thanks for the info on the warranty. I'm going to go ahead and shoot it as-is for the time being anyway.