In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.458 "Light" loads

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Haven't even really started the transaction yet, but I have a .458 Winchester on the way! [:D] So...

...what are some decent reduced loads or light loads that either you guys have had luck with or the manuals list. I know that nothing is really light on recoil with a caliber like this, but I want something that I can at least stand a few rounds of at the range, to become familiar with the rifle. Thanks much in advance,

Jon

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig220_Ruger77,

The best start for this adventure would be to get a copy (used is perfect) of the Lyman Reloading Manual. It contains cast bullet loads and lighter loads for several cartridges.

I suggest using a lighter bullet like a 350 grain over milder charges of powder. Then use a filler such as Cream of Wheat or this one from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=695248

Remember that a filler has to be taken into account when determining a load.

Another method is to use a 'fluffy' powder such as:

Accurate 5744

IMR SR-4759

These powders take up some of the additional space in larger capacity cartridges but yield a milder combination.

Best.
  • Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered cast bullets?

I have a 458 3.25" (basically a 45/70 with the chamber lengthened to 3.25" so that it will chamber 45/120 Sharps cases). These cases have more capacity than the 458 Win. but I find that maximum 458 Win. Loads are about as high as I want to go.

I have used 26 grs. of Trail Boss with 405 gr. cast bullets for a pleasant to shoot practice load.

Given the smaller capacity of the 458 Win. you might want to use a little less powder. IMR could probably give you a suggested load.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can be sure that any load listed for a 45-70 trapdoor springfield will be a "light" load in a 458. I like 4759.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have been using Acc 5744 in my 458.

Good accuracy, as much or little recoil as you want.