In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading question take 2

I posted this in ask the experts it belongs over here if you already responded there thanks.

I am new to reloading:

I was full length resizing and decapping some .223 once fired brass.
I had previously cleaned it in stainless steel media.
I broke a decapping pin and thought maybe i had a crimped in primer? So i took a look at the case and this was not the case. so i replaced the pin and continued. About a dozen cases later same thing happens. So i look in the case and i see 2-3 stainless pins wedged in the bottom of the case. Heres the question: 1. What are the ramifications of the pins remaining in the case(I.E. missed when i decapped the case)2.Has anybody else had this issue? If so what is the remedy for correcting this...short of the obvious answer which is visually inspect every case or stop using S.S. media. Thanks for you help.

Comments

• TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With most rifle brass I usually de-prime before I put them in the S/S tumbler for cleaning,
    But not with pistol brass, much easier to see if anything is in most cleaned pistol brass.
    You still need to look at all brass inside and out before reloading, really does not take that long unless you're doing a ton at a time.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223/556 I hold upside down and tap with a big spoon. It's a pain but you don't want media, especially SS in your case. The smaller the case the bigger the pain. Also you can try the basket type media separator, but I would still tap with a spoon.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might help if you purchase a flash hole deburring tool that does the inside of the flash hole. It might allow the media to come out easier.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341883083
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TANK78Z
    With most rifle brass I usually de-prime before I put them in the S/S tumbler for cleaning,
    But not with pistol brass, much easier to see if anything is in most cleaned pistol brass.
    You still need to look at all brass inside and out before reloading, really does not take that long unless you're doing a ton at a time.

The part of the text I highlighted in RED is basic reloading safety,...you should be doing this!