In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3-Gun (Three-Gun) Competitions

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I'm thinking of joining the 3-Gun league/competition at the sportsmans club where I am a member. I have several handguns I can use and a tactical 12-Gauge shotgun. What I don't have is an AR style rifle/carbine.

The first question I have is do you truly need an AR style rifle/carbine? I have a Romanian AK47 that I'm fairly proficient with. Do you absolutely need an AR style or can other military style weapons be used? I already have too many military calibers and don't really want to go to the expense of purchasing another caliber and/or reloading dies and components.

Ok, so IF I absolutely have to buy an AR style any suggustions which one to purchase - that's fairly reasonable (given today's envirnoment) in price? Any idea what I SHOULD pay for it? Which caliber should I get? Should I purchase a "complete package" or "build" one with different complete upper and lower receivers? If I "build" one should I match the same manufacturer for the upper and lower? Should I purchase one that has open sights or a flat-top to add an optical sight to it? Also, should I use open sights Vs a tactical scope or a "Aim-Point" device?

I know - so many questions and too long. Anyway, any constructive suggestions and information will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't absolutely have to buy an AR to shoot 3 gun.
    Take your AK.
    You may want to go to an AR when and if you get deep into the sport, but you sure don't have to buy a new rifle just to join up.
  • Options
    hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk - Thanks so much for the feedback - It is greatly appreciated!

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    You don't absolutely have to buy an AR to shoot 3 gun.
    Take your AK.
    You may want to go to an AR when and if you get deep into the sport, but you sure don't have to buy a new rifle just to join up.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    NO, just run what you brung [;)][:D]
    And have a ball, it's my favoret competition [8D]
    Been shooting it for years [^]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used an SKS in a local match we have here. With the 10rd magazines and bullet buttons restrictions, the SKS is faster to load with its stripper clips through the top. Only downs are mounting an optic/red dot and the increased felt recoil of a 7.62x39 vs a 5.56.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    NO, just run what you brung [;)][:D]
    And have a ball, it's my favoret competition [8D]
    Been shooting it for years [^]

This.

Will the AK and 7.62x39 qualify for the "heavy iron" class? 12ga, 45acp, and 308/762x51 are what I'm used to for it....
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, You don't have to use an AR platform for 3-gun. I have seen AK's, M1 Carbines, Mini-14's and SKS's at local matches. I have been shooting 3-gun for many years and use an AR gun because they are the most flexible for that type of shooting.

I shoot some big money matches where the likes of Jerry Miculek, Todd Jarrett, Rob Leatham and Mike Voight shoot. At these matches AR's are the norm as they are the most suitable and adaptable for that type of competition.

For your local club matches you don't need an AR, just use what you have and have fun.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....but should you decide to buy an AR...

Gander Mountain in Gastonia has S&W M&P-15 for $750 which is a fair price. I imagine Raleigh has the same.

...build; I would stick to single manufacturer if possible. I like Palmetto State Armory for quality and value.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine does the 3 gun thing. He keeps asking if I want to ride along but I don't think it's my cup of tea. He was showing me his AR last week after we got to discussing the parts/ammo situation. His backup rifle has malfunctioned at the last shoot he'd attended so I gave it a quick going over. I didn't find anything obvious but when I commented that I had a rifle very similar(minus the goofus extra set of open sights stuck on the side), he gave me an odd look and asked what I used a rifle setup like that for. This guy is a shooter NOT a hunter and was surprised when I said my rifle was tricked out as a coyote hunting rifle. Both rifles need quick handling, quick,precise target acquirement(both close and distant), a good trigger, and 100% functionality. If you don't already have a rifle, someone might loan you one until you decide what you like. Be advised that trigger control on a competition AR may be a little problematic in the beginning.