In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading Shotgun Shells

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
just an FYI for anyone thinking of reloading for shotgun[:)]

well after 30+ years of reloading i took the plunge and started loading shotgun shells.

always wanted to but the savings was not that much and i didn't have any components for shotgun[:(],
daughters got me a 12 ga MEC for christmas and i got a deal on a 410 and a 20 MEC.[:p]

first time out with the 12ga shot a 23 on trap[^].
first time with the 410 (2.5in 12.5gr powder and 1/2oz shot) shot a 21[:0].
wasn't looking for much over 10-12 with the 410.

loading up some 20s today hope they do well also seeing how my trap gun is a 20ga.

ammo has gone up and shot price is down ,primers are still the same price ,powder has not gone up here.
so you might think about reloading for that shotgun now days.[;)]

Comments

• hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a long, long time since I've reloaded shotgun ammo - like around 30 years. The only reason I'm doing this is that I'm thinking about joining a 3-gun league/competition at the sportsman's club where I belong. The cost for commercial buckshot and/or slugs are so unreasonably high. I purchased several hundred once-fired 2 3/4" Winchester AA hulls. The question I have is about the condition of the inside of the hulls. Do you and/or CAN you "clean" the inside of shotgun hulls like you SHOULD do for metallic cartridges? Is it worth the effort?

Any "contructive" feedback will be appreciated!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of people running plastic shotshells through the washing machine. But it is not necessary to clean shotshells before reloading. I shot trap for years and loaded blackened shells until they split too bad to crimp.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again - Hawk - Thank You!

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I have heard of people running plastic shotshells through the washing machine. But it is not necessary to clean shotshells before reloading. I shot trap for years and loaded blackened shells until they split too bad to crimp.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can run 12ga AA comp formed thru the washing machine if you want but you will have to set them out in the sun for about 3 days to dry well before using them to reload. At least thats the way it works for me in kansas. I usually just use a damp rag to wipe off the outside -let them sit for a half hour and then reload them. That works for me. Only reason to launder them i can see is if they were full of mud fron duck huntin or sumpin like that.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loads can be different for the old style AA's as compared to the new style AA HS hulls. Make sure you stay with the same hull.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for HS are not the same as the old ones. The Lyman cast sabot slug and red AA wad work really well with bluedot and my old AA's.

I looked and Lee #4 buck shot molds are still on back order for 2 months.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to be a AA man 100%. Now I love STS hulls and hardly use AA any more. I was having trouble with the AA hulls crushing w/ 1 1/4oz loads. Never had any trouble w/ 1 1/8oz.

I bought 1000 Gun Club hulls + ship for $55 last year here on GB. It was a family selling them for a 4-H group. Was good quality 1x's fired & great price. Only thing I have noticed about the "non-brass" hulls is sometimes the brass doesn't resize down enough to hold primer good.

EDIT:
    I only use 1 piece AA hulls.(did)
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason you are having trouble is that the new AA hulls are two piece plastic with a shoulder on the inside. Old hulls are one-piece compression formed. I can't find a correct wad for use in the new ones with Red Dot powder.