In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buckshot Shotgun Reloads Using IMR 800-X?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I'm going to start reloading shotgun ammo again after many years of not doing so. I'm going to load #4 shot; #7 1/2; 00 Buckshot and possibly some rifled slugs. I have a bunch of different Shotgun/Pistol powders I can use to reload the shotgun shells. My "problem" is that in a moment of idiocy I purchased and 8-pound continer of IMR 800-X, orginally purchased for pistol reloads. Well, I haven't had much success/ luck reloading pistol ammo with 800-X. If anybody has any "decent" and not-to-heavy loads for a 12-Gauge 2 3/4", 1 1/8 Oz or 1 1/4 Oz plastic wads it would be appreciated. Constructive feedback is more than welcome!

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotshell loading is more recipe driven than rifle or pistol.
    Look in the book or the Hodgdon/IMR www Load Data Center for powder, wad, hull, and shot combinations.
    (Small shot and 800X looks good, many combinations, but none for buck.)
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk - Again, again - Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Look in the book or the Hodgdon/IMR www Load Data Center for powder, wad, hull, and shot combinations.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the premise that your hulls are the old Win 12 ga AA compression formed hulls i have the following, 1 1/8 oz shot load-Win 209 primer-Win AA12 wad or Rem RXP wad for 1200fps- pressures around 7200 lup. All this can be had with 22.5 gr of 800X. For a little more umph if wanted you can go up to 25.5 gr 800X with AA12-RXP-12S4-Windjammer- or Hor red Versalite wads for a little over 1300fps and pressures of up to 8900 lup, all else staying the same. For 1 1/4 oz loads use 25 gr 800x with Win 209 primer-AA12f114 or windjammer wad for appx 1275fps -pressure 9000 lup. or 25.5 gr 800X Hor red Versalite-REM SP12 at same velocity- pressures at 9300 lup. That is what my Lyman shotshell reloading book gives and i have always found it to be accurate. The 1 1/4 oz loads could probably have the powder reduced by a grain to lessen recoil and velocity and still work in most guns but might not work in some semi auto's. As far as reloading buckshot or slugs i didn't find any listings for AA hulls with 800x listed. I have reloaded both but i have always used Federal hulls for those applications and there are some applications for what you are asking if you are going to use a 475 gr Foster type slug. You have not been real specific on slug and buckshot needs.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hermiem
    I'm going to start reloading shotgun ammo again after many years of not doing so. I'm going to load #4 shot; #7 1/2; 00 Buckshot and possibly some rifled slugs. I have a bunch of different Shotgun/Pistol powders I can use to reload the shotgun shells. My "problem" is that in a moment of idiocy I purchased and 8-pound continer of IMR 800-X, orginally purchased for pistol reloads. Well, I haven't had much success/ luck reloading pistol ammo with 800-X.

Funny, my best 45acp load for 200gr lead was with 800-X [^]
    It shot a 3/4in group at 25yds all day long [;)]
    Problum was I only had a pound of it, and never got more [xx(]
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk,

Just one question please? Why isn't 800-X good for the 00 buck shot?

Thanks,

Mike

quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It isn't good for buck because Hodgdon does not show a load with 800X and buckshot. As I said, shotshell loading is recipe driven because there are a lot of variables and no "pressure signs".

It might be because they could not get to standard velocity with a standard pressure load. It might be because there is much less reloading of buckshot than birdshot and 800X is not a real popular powder, so why go to the trouble. They do not share their logic with the paying customer.

Maybe Lyman or somebody will have tested loads with 800X and buck.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old DuPont reloading guide which 'Includes the NEW 800x' in a separate section even, did not include buckshot or slug data. So can't blame it solely on Hodgdon. But the reasoning is sound as to why not.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman Shotshell Handbook, Third Edition, has slug and buckshot loads using Hy-Skor 800X powder.
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800X seems to be well represented in Lyman's 4th. You'll be loading a bunch of shells for a long time with 8 lb. I used to load shotgun shells a lot more than I do now. Shot was $15 when I started then $25 then $37 now $50. Loading shotgun shells takes up a lot of space, cubic feet, I was surprised.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Bluedot for my Lyman sabot slugs and Unique for my Buckshot loads.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of 700x in shotgun shells and it is also a good powder for large case pistol cartridges.