In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Target Rifle

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
Ok I am building a target rifle. My thing is I have a 30.06 in a tikka t3. Or I was thinking I could make a 260 remington. If i build a 260, it would cost about 1400-1700. If I Rebarrel my 30.06 it wont cost more than 700. The 30-06 has a 22 barrel on it and only 20 rounds have been through it. I want to get a 26 or a 28 inch bull barrel. What do you guys think? Should I save my money and get a sweet barrel and get awesome optics or should I spend a lot of money and build a really sweet 260 and then wait a long time to get optics? Thanks for your concerns?

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know your age or what type of "target" rifle you're putting together, but there is nothing wrong with a good set of Iron Sights. The idea that everything needs to have glass on it is WAY oversold !
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am 23 years old and there is a range for 1000yd shooting close by. I would like to compete. I have never competed before. I shot at 600 yards and hit the target a couple of times just fooling around, but If i work on my setup i forsee myself doing a lot better at 600+yds. Thanks
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    I am 23 years old and there is a range for 1000yd shooting close by. I would like to compete. I have never competed before. I shot at 600 yards and hit the target a couple of times just fooling around, but If i work on my setup i forsee myself doing a lot better at 600+yds. Thanks

Shoot it, as is, at 600-1,000 yards with 180 SMK's and see what your 06 can do..... You may be very surprised, the 06 is a VERY forgiving accurate cartridge.

Something new does not give you the EXPERIENCE needed to toss a bullet that far..... Burn your barrel out learning then decide what to buy.

My .02.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

"I shot at 600 yards and hit the target a couple of times just fooling around,..."

Hitting a target 'a couple of times' at 600 yards with a stock rifle is still the beginning of potential.

Personally, (for your age and experience) I suggest spending your money on a great scope with rings and 20 MOA base, some reloading tools and manuals.

Select the 155 gr. Lapua Scenars loaded over Re-17 and get to work figuring out an accurate load for extended ranges with your rifle. This bullet will dance circles around the others, yes even the heavies.

When you've accomplished an accurate load at 100, 200, and 300 yards, move on out and start practicing at the longer yardages. Here is where a great spotting scope comes in extremely handy...

Then decide if you want to invest in another rifle/cartridge combination.

Best.
    edited November -1
    And just for grins, as an illustration, here is a video of some target shooting at 1400 yards...

Watch carefully because you'll be able to see the bullet trace on the way to the target.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcNn_BbtelY&feature=player_embedded

Best.
    edited November -1
    Ok, Another question regarding a target rifle. I have a 30-06 and a 308. they both are 22 inch barrels, the 308 is a browning abolt with a heavier stock, bull barrel, and a BOSS muzzle break. and the 30-06 is a tikka t3. nothing on it just a normal rifle. What would be better to make a target rifle? Thanks =)

JD
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Browning first. The heavy barrel will be a heat sink and will hold down recoil. Also there is more selection of .308 factory match ammunition. (You didn't say that you handloaded.)

NRA events don't allow muzzle brakes but if you want to get into a match I think they will sell you an unported sleeve for your BOSS.
    edited November -1
    I definitely hand load =) minor detail that i left out. I have 168 SMK. I also have 4 lbs of 4895. I'll try a load with that.Another thing is that the 308 has windage rings so I do not have to use the scope to do it. Thanks! 308 it is.
    edited November -1
    uni82,

A couple of observations:

You may need to have the Browning action pillar bedded before you are able to achieve any consistent results at the longer distances.

The 168 gr. Sierra MK is not suitable for the longer ranges. It's fine for 100 - 300 yards but beyond that there are inconsistencies in the performance.

As I suggested above, you will be better served using the 155 gr. Scenar, Berger or JLK VLD bullets. If you feel that you have to use the Sierras then I suggest using their 175 gr. MK.

Remember, great glass will make all the difference in the world of long range shooting.

Good Luck with your project!

Best.
    edited November -1
    You guys have been absolutely great. I will take everything into consideration. The glass will be picked up mid September and I will update everyone on how she shoots!

Thanks again!

-JD