In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lead bullet 7.62x54r

TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
I have a lot of 7.62x54r fired berdan primed brass cases.
Would modifying them to take 209 primers and using them with 10 grains of Unique and a 115 grain lead bullet be a bad idea?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been done before. Search the web for older posts about it. I will not lead you to any because you are threading on thin ice if done wrong. Just a note to you, 209 primers will NOT stand any amount of high pressures. I would carefully think about powder selection to keep pressures LOW.

Added info..... Almost all shotgun loads are under 15,000 psi. The 22lr round is about 24,000 psi. THINK about that for a minute.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO; Anytime one has to radically modify anything firearm related, especially drilling out cases in order to use an ignition system not designed or intended for that use, it's a bad idea.

But to each his own. If it works; great! Let us know the results. If not, OUCH.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some berdan primers and I have reloaded some steel berdan primed cases as an experiment and they worked fine. I'm not sure I would try to reload them several times like brass. The ones I used took close to a standard size primer (I believe .217). With boxer primed cases so easy to find and the hassle of de-priming berdan cases (not to mention your 209 modification) I would say it's not worth it except as an experiment. I'll keep my berdan primers for the eventuality of a rifle that I can't get any other cases for.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Would it be a problem? No. Is it worth it? No. The super blast from that big shotgun cap is more than you need to ignite 10 gr of unique. Velocity will be all over.

Either buy some boxer brass or just get the PITA berdan primers.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all, too much time on my hands these days.
    I'll just scrap them.