In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

target shooting

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
How do I get better accuracy with 45 Colt revolver when cylinders checks .458" and barrel slugs .452" ? Can't see like I use to but still want accuracy as good as can get. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start sizing .002 over the barrel diameter and see how it does.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will try .454" cast with almost pure lead, Thanks
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't want almost pure lead. Use #2 alloy.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PURE lead .002 over bore size will work FINE IF you use the correct soft bullet LUBE. YOU DO NOT need HARD bullets to get GREAT results with Pistol velocity.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1977 Colt SAA 45 always shot low with light bullets and light powder charges. Went to the Lyman #454190 250gr bullet cast with 20:1 lead mix, and a full charge of blackpowder, and it now shoots point of aim. Have had several folks who are great pistol shots shoot a 12ga shotshell off the target stands @ 25yds with that load and pistol without much difficulty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have that same Lyman mold and will cast a few bullets and try them. Thanks
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try letting someone else test fire it.

If the accuracy is better you know you need to work on yourself instead of the gun, if the tester has worse accuracy you feel good about yourself, but don't let a novice test fire, if it's more accurate, you will be severely depressed!

How do I know this?