In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06 with a .312 bullet?

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have an Arisaka 99 that has been re-chambered for 30-06.
It has the original barrel.
I believe the 7.7 bullet would be .311.
would a .312 be reasonable On a 30-06 case with 47g of H4895?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as long as the bore is actually .311 I would think a .312 bullet would be fine.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullet weight?
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I plan on using what is on hand.
    Hornady 303cal #3120, 150gr SP.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be advised... Some 7.7's just had a 30/06 reamer put thru them. This is not really correct, as the 7.7 jap chamber is oversized {fatter} that the 06. This leads to deformed 06 brass after shooting. Some old timers wrapped a band of scotch tape around the base of the 06 casing next to the rim end to center the case in the fatter chamber.
    I would suggest a chamber cast first.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    ALSO CHECK 'NECK CLEARENCE', FIRE A STD. .30/06 AND SEE IF A .312 BULLET WILL EASYLY ENTER THE FIRED CASE.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neck clearance was the problem I ran into when trying to get a Mauser 7.65x53 rechambered to 30/06 to shoot decent. Neck turning the 06 brass as thin as prudent did make it work but I wasn't comfortable having ammo with oversized bullets sitting around with standard 30/06 rifles.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can turn the bullets down to be heeled, you avoid a lot of problems. I shoot a Mosin Nagant in 30-06 with reduced loads and modified bullets.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .30 caliber bullets MAY also work. I loaded .30-30 170 grain bullets in my 7.7 Jap years ago, and they shot very well at 100 yards. It is nice to be able to use factory ammo when you need to.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had these US Arsenal conversions in Korea for issue to KSP's.
    They shot just fine with M1 Ball.
    I've fired them thousands of times.
    Yours may be one of those.
    The feed ramp was shortened to accommodate the longer 30-06 by grinding and the mag box was cut and lengthened by spot welding a "U" channel on the front. Bolt faces were finely finished and may have been chromed.
    there were no other changes.
    The barrels were stamped either 30-06 or US Cal 30 on the left side near the chamber I forget.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had these US Arsenal conversions in Korea for issue to KSP's.
    They shot just fine with M1 Ball.
    I've fired them thousands of times.
    Yours may be one of those.
    The feed ramp was shortened to accommodate the longer 30-06 by grinding and the mag box was cut and lengthened by spot welding a "U" channel on the front. Bolt faces were finely finished and may have been chromed.
    there were no other changes.
    The barrels were stamped either 30-06 or US Cal 30 on the left side near the chamber I forget.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say slug the barrel with a pure lead ball and measure it with a caliper to determine bore size..and to be double sure all is well I'd cast the chamber with Cerrosafe and measure the casting to see if the gun is a safe-to-fire rebuild or one that just had a reamer run through it making for a sloppy fit.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-chamfering-accessories/cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx