In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder update.

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
Went to Cabelas yesterday with a gift card from Christmas looking for some IMR4831, they didn't have any. They had exactly two powders, IMR 7828 and some PowerPro2000?. They had a good section of primers but I did not need any so I left with some CCI Standard 22lr and a couple boxes of bullets. I then went too a little mom and pop shop that's a couple towns over from my home base. the powder section that they had was the best I have seen in a very long time. I left with two pounds of IMR4831 and 2 of Varget. They had just about all the Reloader series, H335, H380, Benchmark, H4198, IMR4350, H4350, Win748, ect. They had no pistol/shotgun powder and said she heard that it could be a year for 231. They also had bricks of Winchester standard velocity for 40 bucks, I passed. Powder was right around 28 bucks a pound.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked at Bass Pro in Mesa AZ. the other day. Good selection of primers about $40/M and the few cans of powder they had were pushing $30+/#, they had some brass and bullets but lots of empty spaces.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live out in the sticks. Only town around has maybe 20,000, during the summer. There are primers available. Nothing else as far as handgun powder, or rimfire ammo. One of the local stores got a shipment of Winchester AA Super Handicap shotgun powder. I was able to latch on a couple of cans, to use for loading 45 ACP.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Powder and primers are pretty available for me. Maybe not every one I would want, but one suitable to any loading need. Primers in Ohio are running $40/k, powder varies. I've seen it as 'cheap' as $22 a pound, and as expensive as $39.99/lb, depending on what you want and where you get it.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Similar story around here.
    Rifle powder and all primers are available.
    Pistol and shotshell powders are scarce, choice is nil.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just rechecked my tab and the IMR was 28 and the Hodgon Varget was 31.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    varget is RARE right now,..you lucked out.
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just received a shipment of powder, 2 boxes with 48# each. It has been on backorder since 3rd. week of March. All 1 l# bottles. 2 to 4 of several different ones. Varget, H322 & 335,Auto Comp, PB, 4227,CFE223, 7828SSC, 800X, Winch AA Lite and several others. Last 3 orders were on backorder about 3 months and the distributor is dividing the powder they get up so more than 1 or 2 dealers each get some. No Red Dot, Promo, Green Dot or other shot shell powders though..
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Powder and primers are pretty available for me. Maybe not every one I would want, but one suitable to any loading need. Primers in Ohio are running $40/k, powder varies. I've seen it as 'cheap' as $22 a pound, and as expensive as $39.99/lb, depending on what you want and where you get it.

Pretty much the same in my area (Green bay, WI)....As JustC mentioned, Varget is hard to come by........for me, anyway