In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading for an AR rifle

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever tried using Hodgdon's Varget or IMR-4198 ?
I know there are powders better suited for use in the AR rifle , but I have 3 lbs. of this stuff and wanted to use it up instead of buying more . I normally load this ammo with H-335.
55gr. FMJ

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They show a Varget load for 55 gr in a 223 No IMR 4198

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use 4198 for lighter bullets and Varget for longer heavier bullets.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4198 is a usable powder for the 5.56 with 55 grain bullets. You are not going to get top velocity but I doubt your target can tell the difference in 200 FPS when it gets hit.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:You are not going to get top velocity but I doubt your target can tell the difference

My thoughts also , I believe 2900 or so was tops for the Varget with 55gr. bullets , the 4198 just a tad quicker , . I'll load some just for plinking and such , thanks for the replies .

On a more important note bpost , Prayers for a fast & full recovery for Chevonne . I had a malignant tumor about the size of a golf ball cut out of my head 2 years ago , put two 2" titanium plates where the skull used to be . Every 3 months I get an MRI & cat scan to see if it returned ( not fun ) matter of fact , I go for my scans on the 20th & 21st of this month .

Again , Prayers for a full recovery !!!
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4198 works for me, but i hand weigh each one, if near maximum of 21.0 grs with 55 gr fmjbt. Some ARs may not work the action, with some weights of bullets. I used 55gr in M16 carbine, before i sold it. IMR 4198 has been manufacture in Canada and Australia. Weight by volume will not be the same in some lots. Start low and work up the powder charge as always.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ALL my AR loads use CCI #41 primers and bullet crimp. I don't use "fast" or "slow" powders(typically H335/WCC844/X-terminator/AA2230) and usually find a decent load about 1 grain below max.
    I don't "push" the package--if I need more than what I just described, I use a bigger cartridge.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    quote:You are not going to get top velocity but I doubt your target can tell the difference

My thoughts also , I believe 2900 or so was tops for the Varget with 55gr. bullets , the 4198 just a tad quicker , . I'll load some just for plinking and such , thanks for the replies .

On a more important note bpost , Prayers for a fast & full recovery for Chevonne . I had a malignant tumor about the size of a golf ball cut out of my head 2 years ago , put two 2" titanium plates where the skull used to be . Every 3 months I get an MRI & cat scan to see if it returned ( not fun ) matter of fact , I go for my scans on the 20th & 21st of this month .

Again , Prayers for a full recovery !!!

And my prayers to you! She is recovering now, the tumor was growing FAST but was not cancer. The swelling in her face is so bad they still don't know if she has any vision from her left eye.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my opnion, I Like Varget for my bolt guns but never had to much luck with it in my AR.