In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

375 H&H

DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have the newer Hornady Book or experience with the lighter bullets?

I bought the 220gr FLAT points (designed for the 375 Win) as they were on sale and right next to the 270gr boxes.

I'd like to shoot them in the 375H&H but none of the books I have list that weight.

I'd really appreciate if they had a listing for any of the following powders( RL-15,RL-17 or RL-22, IMR4064, H4350 or IMR4350) If not I'll try and hunt down whatever they have a listing for, as I've got 200 of them.

Thanks

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to keep them under 2500fps. They do shoot well and you can use any data that is available for the 375 Winchester. (or the 38-55)
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    will they come apart above 2500FPS? Also wouldn't 375 win data(If I had it) be too low or cause a flash over?
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    RL-15 is max at 74.5 grains.. start at 67.6 grains...
    IMR 4064 is max at 72.8 grains... start at 64.3 grains.....
    This data is for the 220 Hornady Flat point.........
    edited November -1
    Thanks.

I'll give it a go with the RL15. I'll bring my chrono.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years I shot Speer 235gr semi-spitzers backed up with 45gr of 4198 in my 375 H&H. Was a very good load in my gun and I never had a hint of problem. Pushing those flat point bullets beyond 2500fps will only cause them to destroy a lot of meat if that is what you intend to use them for.
    edited November -1
    I definitely want accuracy. That being said I don't want wasted meat either. Guess I'll try to find the lower node of accuracy.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 788 Remington that started life as a .30-30 and had been re-bored and chambered to .38-55 when I got it. I use the bullets you reference with a compressed load of Reloader 7 and get 2300 fps with very good accuracy. At 2500 fps from your H&H, that bullet would generate 3050 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and should make an excellent short range deer load. I would think that data for the 235 gr bullet would give you a good reference point. That 220 FP bullet may not be the most effecient use of that big case but you use what you have; right?!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.