In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best first reloading book

rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
I am new to reloading. I'm going to be reloading for my 223 howa varmint 24"bal, 243 ruger 77 22" brl, 22-250 rem 788 24" brl, 270 rem 700 24" brl, and 25-06 custum mauser 26" brl. I have been given a pacific multi power press and equipment. I'm a hunter of deer and pigs, but I enjoy very long range shooting for coyotes and jack rabbits. I do target shot but Im not into bench shooting. I plan on loading barnes led free bullets because we have led free zones in my area. Could you guys help me with one good first reloading book to help me get started.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I plan on loading Barnes lead free bullets

There's your answer, get the Barnes manual.
    Barnes bullets, even more so than the other manfactures, require their own data
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would get a barnes book if all i was going to reload was barnes bullets. if not i would get a sierra or hornady manual.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I have ordered it on amazon.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More books is always better.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rcoane,

"More books is always better."

No truer statement could be made with regard to reloading. You can never have too many books that contain information about reloading and cartridges.

Each reloading manual whether specific or general will contain a huge amount of information about the process itself. Be sure to take the time to read the other chapters in a manual.

The choice of the Barnes manual is obviously correct. Unless you have reloaded previously, you might consider getting a couple of the introductory books which have great details about the process and function of the various parts.

I always suggest the Book:

ABC's of Reloading

http://www.usedreloaders.com/reloadshop/books-3375301-0896896099-Abcs_Of_Reloading_The_Definitive_Guide_For_Novice_To_Expert.html

Once you have a good handle on the process, it never hurts to add to your library of reloading manuals. Be aware that there is a tremendous amount of information available online as well. Be sure to check the source of the online information as opinions vary a great deal.

Best.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes more books can lead to more confusion. I can look up a specific load in 4-5 different books, and some will not even be close to each other. And this is with the same components.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im sure I'll have more questions as I go, but at this point I dont know enough to even ask any reloading questions. I have the instruction manual for my press and the barnes book on the way. For most of my guns a basic load will be fine. All my guns group well for 100% kill shots at 400yrds with store bought loads. I am looking for more range for my 25-06. I use this gun for very long shots while doing preditor control on ranches. At 600+ yrd store bought rounds are not consistant. Ive been shooting hand loads from a dealer and have bean able to work out good shot formulas and have faith that if I miss, it was a bad calculation or me, not a bad load.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to see our on the right track. I have been reloading 25+ years
    When I first started, I was told "it was all the same" Then the old guy in the gun shop took me aside and gave me a pile of reload books from powder books to bullets, go study and bring the books back.

After a few weeks of reading I came back in confused and frustrated and I exclaimed "They are not all the same were in the hell do I start!" All I got was a big smile and he said "Welcome to reloading"

"Bullets and powders are not created equal"

That's the best advice I have ever gotten. It's also made me a safer reloader to boot.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was gonna say Lee,but I didn't realize Barnes bullets were that sensitive.I've never used them,but it sounds like good advice.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reddnek
    Most (all?) Barnes slugs are solid Gilding Metal, not the GM jacket and lead core construction of most bullets. This is the main reason for using the data provided by Barnes instead of "general" data.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Reddnek
    Most (all?) Barnes slugs are solid Gilding Metal, not the GM jacket and lead core construction of most bullets. This is the main reason for using the data provided by Barnes instead of "general" data.

IIRC Barnes bullets are 100% copper, with the exception of the MRX, Varmint Grenade, and the original![:D] You can't go wrong with lots of data books! Too much information is better than too little!