In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reload 45 long colt

I am new to this caliber and I think I have the old style dies. I need step by step instructions on loading the 45 long colt with hornady 200 gr FTX, 800x powder, they fall into the case. Please Help THANKS to all

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    the older .45 colt pistols use a .454" bullet, your Hornady's are probaly .451". the older dies are ment for the larger bullets. you could try 'neck sizing' with .45 acp dies.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, not expanding the cases after sizing.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    The expansion should not allow the bullet to "fall into the case". My guess is to listen to Mike's advise and check the bullet dia.

You may have the wrong bullet for loading.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for old dies are for .454. You could try a smaller expander ball or set the existing one really high. Your die set might not size the case down enough, try a FL sized without the expander in place.. A new set of Lee carbide dies is a good solution.

I never liked loading 45 Colt, the rims are thin and its easy to tear the case out of the shell holder (carbide sizer is the ticket). 250 grain is the traditional weight. Cast bullets work just fine in a pistol.

What firearm are you loading for?
  • smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    T/C contender 12" quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    +1 for old dies are for .454. You could try a smaller expander ball or set the existing one really high. Your die set might not size the case down enough, try a FL sized without the expander in place.. A new set of Lee carbide dies is a good solution.

I never liked loading 45 Colt, the rims are thin and its easy to tear the case out of the shell holder (carbide sizer is the ticket). 250 grain is the traditional weight. Cast bullets work just fine in a pistol.

What firearm are you loading for?
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's the contender, it might have the dual purpose barrel that also fires 410's. Rifling might not have deeply cut grooves, as a conventional 45 LC revolver.

First thing I would do would be to slug the barrel. Then use only very hard cast or jacketed bullets. Of the correct size for the the rifling.

My experiences loading for the Taurus Judge in 45 LC. Weren't positive even with .454 swaged bullets. It wasn't accurate unless very light loads were used. The soft bullets weren't stabilized at higher velocities.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is the id of your brass after sizing? and about how old are your dies re: the 'older dies' theory.
    I see this is an older post,are you having better luck now ?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with old Lyman and Herter dies.
    Chuck your dies and buy a new Lee set having a carbide fl sizer.
    Their powder through die combines expanding and charging operations.