In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wylde chambered 20" AR barrel

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
I wanna try some light and heavy bullet loads that may or may not be using military brass, but don't want to screw things up with an "ordinary" chamber.
Any ideas where to find what I need?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunnut505,

The Wylde chamber is where I usually start.

If you're asking about published load data, here is a start from Sierra:

http://www.accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

This one has a better bullet selection but opens in Microsoft Notepad:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BxQs7e_w4ewlZDM1YmM5ZGItZDI5OC00YzI1LWEzZDItNDU3YWE1MmVkOGY1&authkey=CJLf8P0N&hl=en

Best.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the ??
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, between the load data and sourcing of the barrel(s), I think I can begin some experimentation.
    I wanted to use a Wylde chamber to remove barrel/chamber-related potential variables concerning neck tension, case wall thickness/case capacity, and associated pressure anomalies/accuracy issues in my tests.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Ahh.....

Well, be sure to let us know what you find........
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you expect from the rifle? We have several AR's with "ordinary barrels" that shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. Actually, the most disappointing AR I own has a Wylde chamber and a couple of other "expensive" options purported to produce superior accuracy. DelTon "off the shelf" uppers regularly outshoot this upper at just over 1/2 the cost.
    Just my experience but throwing money at an AR doesn't necessarily produce a better(or more accurate)rifle.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Regardless of chamber dimensions, from an accuracy point of view fitting brass to the chamber is critical. Sometimes though a chamber is so oversize that it is impossible to do this.

And I agree with Mobuck, a standard 5.56 chamber can shoot very well.

Nononsense, have you ever worked with a bolt action platform 5.56 trying to achieve extreme accuracy? Just curious..
    edited November -1
    MG1890,

quote:
    Nononsense, have you ever worked with a bolt action platform 5.56 trying to achieve extreme accuracy? Just curious..

Yes. Why do you ask?

I'm not in the shop since I'm getting ready to go to a couple of competitions in AZ. But if memory serves me, I have 5 distinctly different reamers for the 5.56x45 for the AR platforms and I'm making a list trying to count the number of reamers for bolt rifles. Probably something like 14 reamers for bolt rifles. These vary by neck diameter, leade length and throat length and angle. There is a fairly high frequency for building competition practice rifles in .223 Rem. or 5.56x45 for some folks. Others shoot this cartridge(s) as their primary if the distance aren't a big handicap.

I have two AR style rifles built for 77 grain competition loads and one for shooting 90 grains single shot to 1,000 yards. Bolt rifles, I have one for shooting 90 grains in a gain twist barrel and two others for shooting 75 and 80 grain AMAX only. There is a new one on my bench ready for the newest variation in VLD Hybrid design also.

I'm also involved in running some more tests on brass by comparison. It gets real expensive to shoot all Lapua at a match and only recover a small handful...

Best.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My point in asking is to see if there was evidence that a standard milspec 5.56 chamber and throat can be capable of extreme accuracy. With all of the different chambers available (you have like 19!) how much accuracy does the standard chamber give up??

I see the point of the long leade chambers for the VLD and long bullets.. and I see the need for tight necks. I just have to wonder for the ordinary guy with an AR does it practically matter.

Good luck in Arizona!!
    edited November -1
    MG1890,

quote:standard milspec 5.56 chamber and throat

quote:capable of extreme accuracy

No, not really. There are a number of variables that contribute to accuracy besides the chamber although the alignment of the chamber with the bolt and bore is a great start to accuracy. If the reamer alignment with the bore is perfect and the concentricity is perfect then you are left with creating brass which is fitted to that chamber. Or you need to be sure that the reamer will cut a chamber which is a fit to the mil-spec ammunition. The trick then is to find the throat angle and leade length which promotes accuracy from that same ammunition. This usually consists of lots of testing or lots of luck.

Most of the folks I know and shoot with build their own ammunition instead of buying mil-spec ammunition. I realize it's easier to buy rather than reload but if extreme accuracy is the goal then the only alternative is to reload.

Best.