In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 AAC with 1/7 twist

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
In preparation for the upcoming family get together and shooting fest on Independence Day, I opened a box marked "300AAC upper". Checking the barrel markings to verify caliber(always a good idea), I discovered it said "DPMS 300 AAC 1 in 7 CHROME LINED".
I didn't remember this being a fast twist barrel and hadn't given any thought to what I should feed it until yesterday.
Any suggestions or experiences?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is a 7 twist also. It stablizes the heavy bullets in subsonic flight. I like shooting 125 Hornadays with Lil Gun or VV110 and 155 gas checked cast bullets for fun cheap plinking.

I bought one box of factory fodder VERY expensive in my book at over 20 a box.

I really do like the round, it is easy to make brass, cheap to reload, a decent 100 yard deer gun with good bullets and built on a great proven platform.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My Remington 700 is 1/7 also.

The low velocity requires a fast twist rate to get sufficient bullet RPM's for stabilization.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did some checking and found that many of the 300's have 1 in 7 twist. Oddly enough, the 300 I've been shooting does quite well with 190 HPBT @ 1200-1300 fps and it has a 1 in 10 twist. I have plenty of powder options but the 190's are the heaviest .308 bullets on hand. I may try some 175 HPBT pull down bullets-have lots of those.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I test fired the 1/7 twist with Hornady 110 V-Max, 110 Hornady spire point handloads, and 190 HPBT handloads. Not at all impressed with 110(either bullet). The heavy bullets @ 1300fps did well showing under 1 MOA for 5 shots. Not my best day as a thunderstorm was coming in and I had to hustle to shoot and get under cover before the rain. I think there's potential for better accuracy.
    I'm going to try Nosler BT in 125 and 150 to see if that tightens groups somewhat and provides adequate performance for hunting. Velocities of either these at 100-125 yards should be close to .308 Win at 250 and no one finds fault with .308 w/150 bullets at 250.

The Nosler 150BT shows adequate hunting accuracy with a moderate load of AA1680. I think it can be increased slightly but haven't run them over the Chrony yet.