In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gas check removal

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I am trying to save brass from reloads with lead bullets and gas checks. I do not wish to fire these in my M1 Carbine since they are lead, and I don't know "who" loaded them. During the bullet removal some leave the gas check stuck in the brass.

Any "safe" way to remove the gas check from the case? Or do I just dispose of these to the local police. I would really like to save the brass if possible.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Gas checks are crimped on the bullet base. They should stay on there when pulled.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When pullling lead gas checked bullets from long neck and straight wall cases, the gas check will almost always stay in the case. Borrow a Ruger 30 carbine pistol and shoot them out.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh hell, just tip them sideways with a small screwdriver and pull them out with a needle nose pliers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks XXCross, I really didn't think about doing it that way, simple. I was going to drill a hole and turn in a sheet metal screw, then pull out. But I've never dealt with gas checks before, so thought I'd ask first "before" I do something stupid (or known as my normal MO).

I'll try it tonight.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you pull the bullets, melt them and the gas checks will float to the top.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    B17. I got the melting part (thanks anyway), it's the stuck in the case part with a live primer and powder I was worried about. Most are coming out with the bullet, but a few leave the gas check in the case.

I try never to fire someone else's reloads in any gun. Just trying to salvage the brass and lead.

Haven't tried the screw driver method yet. Will check and report back.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    B17. I got the melting part (thanks anyway), it's the stuck in the case part with a live primer and powder I was worried about. Most are coming out with the bullet, but a few leave the gas check in the case.

I try never to fire someone else's reloads in any gun. Just trying to salvage the brass and lead.

Haven't tried the screw driver method yet. Will check and report back.

Sorry Geeguy I missed the point of the problem. I believe XXcross has it right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reporting back. XXcross - it was so easy I feel bad I even asked.

I put them in a shell holder in my press to assure no hits on the primers, slid a small screw driver and tapped, they turned and I pulled them with small needle nose pliers. Did lose a few in the bottle neck cases, but others were 100%.

That's what these forums are for, again, thanks to everyone.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No need to feel bad geeguy.
    Been there, done that....MANY TIMES !