In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 mag 1200 fps load?

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
My hands just can't tolerate full house mag loads anymore. I've been using H110 which is really only suited for that type load. I have on hand AA#7 and some 800X shotgun powder. Is anyone using these powders to build 240 jacketed loads in the 1200 fps range? If I can't find a useable load with these components, I'll have to budget for some different propellant.

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman Reloading Handbook has loads for 240 gr., 800X powder.
    AA7 loads were for 200 and 225 gr. bullets.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sierra fifth manual (6th printing) lists a load of 21.1 grains of H110 at 1200 fps. It also lists a wide variety of powders for loads from 1050 fps on up. I have found that using total copper plated Berry's .44 flat point is a good way to build a comfortable general shooting load for my M-29, I use 10 grains of Unique.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'd be a little bit leery of light charging H110. I would look at a different powder for slower softer loads.
    W.D.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was my thoughts. I've had fairly good results using 800X with 200HP. Just hoped someone had specific experience with the components I had on hand.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    I'd be a little bit leery of light charging H110. I would look at a different powder for slower softer loads.
    W.D.

I agree with this big time. What I found was some loads would burn most of the powder others would leave powder in the case and the bbl.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 240 grain at 1200 is still a hefty load. Probably close to what most factory loads will give you.

Why not buy a bag full of 44 Special brass and a can of Unique. It's a great powder for mid-range loads. Or, as 62fuelie said, use Unique in your 44 Magnum cases.
  • rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lead 180gr. load backed by Win. 231 powder and a mag primer. Kicks less that a special load. I don't have the charge amount here at work, notes are at home.
  • cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree about possibly trying some loads with Unique or another similar powder. Lower end loads with H110 and 2400 were unpleasant for me as well, but I've come up with several MAG and SPC loads using 200/240 grain lead and jacketed bullets that are perfect for high volume target shooting.