In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New brass?

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
I wanted to know if your suppose to check all new brass for The O.A.L. And ream them before reloading. Bought some Remington a while back an had to ream them all. Didn't know if this common or not. Thanks
JW

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ream?? Not sure I understand. I usually neck size and chamfer the mouths. New cases generally are dented up a little at the mouth.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass doesn't have a OAL, loaded cartridges do but not the brass itself.

Brass has a minimum and a maximum spec length, with a recommended (by the data writer) "trim-to" length.

I have only had one type of brass that did NOT require a trip through the a sizing die and trimmer to put right, and that was some B.E.L.L 416 Rigby cases(they were perfect right out of the box)
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's so easy to check the length of a cartridge with Lee's cartridge gauge and case trimmer that I do it to all of my new brass and it only takes a second to chamfer the mouth of the case while your at it. Old rifle cartridges will also get longer and need to be checked to so that you have consistent bullet seating. Of course if you only shoot your rifle rounds in one rifle then it won't matter you can just let the chamber do the sizing.

casetrimmer_zpsc16179e1.jpg
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    JW; It would be prudent to ALWAYS inspect new brass and then (among other things)trim the entire lot to match the shortest piece in the batch which is within (or up to approx .002" shorter than)the "trim to" spec.
    Hope this answers your question......