In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new speer 44 cal shot capsules

cash777cash777 Member Posts: 213 ✭✭
never reloaded 44 before and was surprised to find these measure .417 diameter.They will drop down the barrel and also into the case to a length of 1.650.Happen to have a factory box of ten with the capsule also measuring .417 so this appears normal. I reloaded 357 many years ago and have some with those capsules measuring .352 These will not slip down the barrel and I'm sure I can remember having to seat them with a little pressure. Does anyone know if Speer changed the dimensions for some reason? maybe cracking during reloading. I see they are bringing out what they are calling the big 4 with #4 shot. I'm going to try #9 and some #4 shot. Anyone load any other shot size? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never tried the Speer 44 shot capsules. I had a TC in 44 mag with a screw in internal choke/shredder. It would pattern excellently with their capsules.

I also developed a load in my 45-350 Ackley mag using those capsules with a 1 piece Rem 410 power piston wad. They pattern very nicely at 2200 fps. I once got 9 grouse with 7 shots. I lined up 2 pair of doubles on the ground, the rest were on the wing. The rifle has parabolic rifling at a quick twist rate. The plastic slipping on plastic is why it patterns so well IMHO.

I had a S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt 8 3/8 barrel. It would pattern nicely with the shot charge placed between gas checks.

All my other pistols and rifles pattern poorly - a few pellets in the middle, then a big hole and ring of hits - due to rifling.

#4 and then #6 for game, 7 1/2 for snakes. I have up to #12.

I was working on a project to cut plastic 410 shell off and roll crimp both ends to make shot capsules.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded and used the shotcaps in 44. IMHO shot bigger than #8-9 is pretty much worthless due to lack of pattern density. I used the shot shells to show off shooting hand tossed empty pop cans. Fairly impressive if the audience doesn't see the perforated cans later.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While shot recommendations for handgun capsules recommend fine shot,
    I've loaded #4 in a 2" chief years ago.
    Penetration was through 1x10 boards.
    A 44 or 45 with a full load of #4 should be deadly.
    A hunting buddy of my youth converted me to larger shot saying "It only takes one pellet to kill a squirrel".
    Just found a yellow box of blue Speer 44 capsules.
    They measure .416" dia.
    Again, I'm not a fan of fine shot to fill a humming bird collection.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using the Speer Shot Capsules for years. Played around with different shot and powders in both the .44 Spl. and the .38 Spl.
    Yeah, they are a bit loose, BUT.........they slug up on the trip down the barrel.
    I found a chuck of the capsule from the .44 Spl., not big, but enough to see it had rifling on it !!!! So, they bump up on their trip.
    Have settled on #9 shot and Unique. Have found patterns are about the best in a 2 - 3 inch barrel guns.
    I carry the first 3 chambers of my guns loaded with the shotshells, in case I happen onto a snake that is just a little too close. If Mr.Sanke is over their, he is a good snake. If he is by my tent or truck, he is not so good of a snake..........
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .410 Shotshells will fire in a .45 ACP but they're real slow to load, and tend to fill the mag well with nasty hot gasses. (Especially bad if the mag is in place and grips are wood.)
    Don't ask me how I know. [}:)]