In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

norma brass

Is it really good enough to justify the higher price?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is in my Carl Gustav 7mm Rem Mag.

added
    I bought my rifle in Germany 1975. All I could get was Rem 120 factory ammo which shot very accurately (would hit 20 round defective M16 magazines swinging on a string at 300 meters offhand). I sent the spent brass home.

When I started working up a load in 1976, I notice the imprint of the ejector recess. I ask my local supply guy and he sold me 12 boxes of new Norma brass. No marks with the same load. The last 200 rounds of new brass 2005 is Norma made Weatherby marked 7mm Rem Mag. They have all been fired form, trimmed, champher inside and out, flash hole deburred and uniformed. Ready to load. I still have a box of the my original Norma brass with my favorite bullet and load from 76. At least 6 boxes of that brass with perhaps up 8 reloads and maybe 40 loose rounds.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chet,

quote:Is it really good enough to justify the higher price?

It's fairly high quality brass, maybe not quite as tough as Lapua but they are making cases which Winchester and Remington refuse to produce for the reloaders. They might be the only source for some cases.

Best.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    It is in my Carl Gustav 7mm Rem Mag.

I am having trouble finding 7mm rem mag brass but found the Norma and Nosler
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Chet,

quote:Is it really good enough to justify the higher price?

It's fairly high quality brass, maybe not quite as tough as Lapua but they are making cases which Winchester and Remington refuse to produce for the reloaders. They might be the only source for some cases.

Best.

I wanted Lupua brass but I couldn't find on their website that they produce it in 7mm Rem mag but they do in 7mm Wby mag. Nosler brass is also available I've heard it is made by Norma also do you know if this is true?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Depends on the rifle and expected use. If you have an "off the shelf" rifle and are assembling deer loads then the standard Winchester, Remington, Federal stuff is just fine. Don't push the shoulder back when you resize and you will get good life and good accuracy.

IF you have something that is capable of long range accuracy, spring for some better brass. I love Lapua. Nosler, Norma, Hornady, all are probably a little more consistent on wall thickness than the cheaper brass.

I prefer Winchester brass for hunting rifles and Lapua for target rifles.

One more thing: the reloading dies / method are just as, or more, important than the brand of brass for accuracy.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the lot I tried in my 22/250 to be soft and it stretched significantly at every firing.
    The Norma brass I used in my 308 Norma mag was also soft and didn't hold up as well as Winchester (re-formed 300 H&H).
    Maybe it was just the lots I had, but it wasn't all that great IMHO.