In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Arrow ID

WarbirdogWarbirdog Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I thought I would run this by you bowhunters.
Over the past 4 years I have found three dead bucks on my property. I have a 1/2 mile long parcel, that has a creek filled with olives and cedars in it. All these deer had a broken off arrow in them. I observed another buck in Jan of this year, he was very thin, and had an arrow sticking out of his shoulder area. I found him dead in Feb.
So I have this jar of arrows sitting on my desk. Taken from deer that bed here but that are being shot on the neighbors property.
I would like to see the F&G Dept pass a regulation that would require all archers to have id on every arrow in their possession. One of those golf club type stickers. Name, address and phone.This way I can notify the hunter when I find his deer. If he won't come and get it and surrender his tag I'll let the local C.O. do it. Irealize that a good killing shot usually passes through the deer, but poor one don't
Would you guys object to this and if so, why?

Gordo

Comments

• Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Not all killing shots result in pass threw. And not all poor ones don't. Totally not a true statement at all. I haven't had but 1 pass threw in the last 17 deer I've taken (I think thats the right number anyway).

Having said that I would do it. I'd be tickled if I lost a deer and someone called me to say they found it.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Most bowhunters that I know work very hard to be the best shot that they can be. We shoot most of the spring and summer, into fall. 20 shots a night for 3 months or more do add up. That being said stuff happens. It is nothing anyone is proud of but, a unseen twig can cause an arrow to be off a couple inches. A couple of inches can be the difference between a good "in a 100 yrd dead deer" and a long night trailing.
    That being said, would you also like to make firearm hunters have their name etched on their bullet or a ballistics match on file to do the same? I would challenge most firearm hunters to claim to shoot and practice 1/2 as much as a dedicated archery hunter.
    BTW, I would like to know if a deer that I shot, regardless of the weapon used, and I didn't find, was found.
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    whats the point is it a crime not to recover a deerAre you going to call the hunter yelling and screaming that you found his arrow in a dead deer I dont understand what your goal is..... also why dont you check on a daily basis then you will have all the free venison you want and the animal does not go to waste... Why would you not contact your neighbor and discuss your findings with him.. and see what the hunters side of the story is.. Maybe it rained and he lost a blood trail. Maybe he or she had a family emergency. sounds like your looking to instigate an arguement to me....By the way even if you called the authorities I doubt they can do absoulty nothing about that.... those deer could have been shot two miles away.
  • Options
    A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, I have only lost one buck, little guy, hit him square in the shoulder...but I have never had a passthrough, the buck I shot this year only got 15 inches of penetration but only went 80 yards and died.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote: Ya, I have only lost one buck

I lost one with a gun. [V]
  • Options
    buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    I lost one with a rage in KY this year the shot was perfect but pouring rain. looked for 5 hours.. no luck[xx(] second doe I shot with slick trick complete pass through like butter deer went 40 yards fell over dead.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Warbirdog - Is your property posted? If so, would you give permission to someone if they came to your door and stated that they would like to track a wounded deer through your property? Or, what would you do if you found someone tracking a wounded deer through your property?

All of the bowhunters that I know would be tickled pink to have someone call and tell them that they found their buck. Most would willingly surrender their tag for it too, if they had one available. I would not make it mandatory though. Everyone who hunts a lot has lost a deer or two. Unfortunately, it is part of hunting.