In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hunting Blinds

RettrooperRettrooper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have been bowhunting most of my life and I will be the first to admitt that I am stuborn when it comes to change. When I saw my first compound bow I said, I would never hunt with one of those ugly things. That was probably 30 years ago or more and I can't begin to guess how many compounds I have owned since that first encounter. Anyway, getting to the subject. I see many shows on TV where they just pop up a blind and hunt out of it, in the wide open. Is this truly an effective way to hunt deer and elk, or does it usually require bruch stacked around it? Also, how about shots through the see-through screening of the blinds. Are there limitatioons to that shot are there shots at angles, not to be take?

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My blind hunting has been somewhat limited. I did just buy a DB Dark Horse blind, so that should change fast.

Setting up a blind and hunting out of it in the wide open works fine for turkey, but deer are a different story. I have always brushed in a deer blind, or had it out for a week or more prior to hunting. As for the shoot through screen.... Fixed blades seem to work fine, but I have heard that some/most mechanicals will deploy on the mesh. I have not tried to shoot the mesh on an angle. Most blinds have plenty of windows, or wrap around mesh to stop this need.

I hope that helps.
    Joe
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    +1 on everything dsco said.

Deer get real nervous around them if they aren't either really well hid, or if they havn't been there for at least a few weeks.

Ben
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ben. Now I feel like I might know what I am doing...
  • RettrooperRettrooper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info on hunting blinds. I have tried them before on a real limited basis. I feel cramped in there, thinking all the time that I will whack the side or top when shooting. I will practice.

I will add that I once used a blind to funnel deer to me. It worked, they did not like that bling out in the open. I hunt Mule deer, Black tail deer and elk. I spend about 100 days each year hunting one of them. So, I will try several blinds on them and see what happens.

Thanks again>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >Gene
    edited November -1
    I have, and like the Double Bull Dark Horse. Just a little on the heavy side, but I think that is the quality over lots of the others. If you are going to carry it a lot you may want to look at the T2.