In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

straighten out a recurve

threetoesthreetoes Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
I have a recurvebow Martins X-200 which I lent to my brother. It came back 6 monts later with one end twisted. He left it strung and sitting on one end thru the winter. Any way to straighten that one end out. I can string it now, but pulling back the bow string. it comes off.

Comments

• bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Dont know if this will help or not but thought its worth a try

http://www.martinarchery.com/manuals/MartinTradMan2001.pdf
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try steam, like a bissel hand steamer. Clamp (one with the two long wide wooden jaws and two hand crank shafts) the limb securely at a point where it is true then place another similar clamp out at the twisted area. Now place weights out from the side of the second clamp arm creating a reverse twist. Now steam it and allow to dry, steam it again,dry repeat this over several days. Careful too much opposite twist will damage the limb or set it in the wrong direction. Too much steam will unlaminate the limb.
    Some bow limbs can be straightened by stringing then placing a wooden board about 1ft long between the handle (brace height) and the nock point of the string, causing the limbs to be partially drawn back. Often times this will force the twisted limb true. Then apply the steam. This takes two people to do because at any time you are drawing the bow back placing in the board the damaged limb will try to reverse .
  • threetoesthreetoes Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that info. Will give that I try.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steam will most likely be the only way to fix it. Maybe call up your local bow shop and ask if they know someone in the area that makes long bows or recurves. If they do, that person has a steam box for limbs.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    Steam will most likely be the only way to fix it. Maybe call up your local bow shop and ask if they know someone in the area that makes long bows or recurves. If they do, that person has a steam box for limbs.

I bet Nick at TT bows could offer some advice. See his webside www.ttbows.com
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by threetoes
    I have a recurvebow Martins X-200 which I lent to my brother. It came back 6 monts later with one end twisted. He left it strung and sitting on one end thru the winter. Any way to straighten that one end out. I can string it now, but pulling back the bow string. it comes off.

There are things you just do not loan out to family members. Your wife, tools, guns, bows, camera equipment, money and your lap top.
  • threetoesthreetoes Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    quote:Originally posted by threetoes

Amen to That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

There are things you just do not loan out to family members. Your wife, tools, guns, bows, camera equipment, money and your lap top.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    You could get your brother to bend over, insert the bent end of the bow.........ah, nevermind.[:D]