In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HOYT PROBLEMS

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
My hunting buddy, a very experienced archery hunter recently purchased a Hoyt cam and a half compound bow. He has it adjusted to shot field point about where he wants them at 10 to 40 yards BUT whenever he shoots thunderheads broadheads they fly 2 to 3 feet low at thirty yards. This is consistant and not just a one time occurence.

Any suggestions as his patience is getting thin.

Thanks

Rockton

Comments

• sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing to check is the rest. Out of tune bow will show up quick with broadheads. Broadheads are not made to shoot point of impact with field points but they should hit closer than that. Also weigh your field points and broadheads. A few grains difference is all it takes tomake a change in point of impact over 30 yards. Odds are the nock set onthe string is too high or low, or the rest itself is dropping. Good luck.......
  • bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who says broadheads wont shoot point of impact with field tips? If a bow is tuned properly broadheads, mechanical or fixed blade, the same weight as the field points should hit in the same place. Check the spring tension on the rest. The hoyts are supposed to use centerline technology which means that when at full draw the arrow is in the center of the string and should be in the vertical center of the riser. A tip I use is to center the shaft with the rest mounting hole in the riser. Square everything up and then check centershot. Also try tuning each arrow individually by turning the nock to a different cock fletch. With that much difference in point of impact something is definitely out of tune.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
    edited November -1
    Hey Bullhauler. Re-read my reply. Broadheads are not "BUILT" too shoot point of impact with field points. Didn't say they couldn't. Reason mech. broadheads became popular with some is that they will shoot like a field point. When you introduce the arodynamics of a broadhead they tend to change the point of impact to a certain degree ( though not too the amount rockton was talking about). Weak arrow rest would be my first guess also and an out of tune bow will really show with a broadhead compared to a field point.....
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the arrow isn't the right weight to compliment the broadheads chosen. Don't the broadhead and arrow need to be matched in order to shoot correctly?
    edited November -1
    Weight of the arrow point, be it broadhead or field point, is one of the factors in selecting arrow size. No difference in the calculation between field point and broadhead. If too heavy an arrowhead for the arrowshaft is used, a broadhead may show it worse than a field point. Too light of arrowpoint throws off balance but is "usually" not as severe or noticable........
  • rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tips guys. The problem still exists and Hoyt has been contacted. Seems maybe the cam is not timed correctly. ?????????????

Later

Rockton
  • mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told when I bought my cam 1/2 that the timing wasn't adjustable because it was a new system that didn't require it. Was I fed a line of BS?
  • rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not received any more info from my buddy on the cam timing. Will advise when I find out what is going to be done to correct problem

Rockton
  • ducernducern Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should have bought a Mathews.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • j1r11j1r11 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont worry about the field points. You should be practicing with broadheads only, since thats what you will be using on a hunt. Just make sure you paper tune your bow in case you are fishtailing or porpoising.