In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow for beginner

williamNwilliamN Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
My 11 yr old son wants a bow for shooting in our yard. I am looking for a decent inexpensive model as I am not sure if he will stay interested. Any suggestions? jht12003@yahoo.com

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    price range?

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • williamNwilliamN Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would prefer under $75 for new & less for used. What bows do they use at summer or boy Scout camps? The bows I have seen on TV shows covering youth archery look pretty simple & cheap. TIA
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I believe Browning has a couple youth models in their line and also Cabela's either private label some or have them in their catalog, but your gonna end up with a lot more than $75 for a new one set up. I'd suggest checking out your local archery shops and tell them what you want or try the newspapers and flea markets. You can set your son up for $75, but you may have to look a little for the deal.
    Good luck
    If you buy from a local shop they will go through everything with your son so he's understands what to do. That might help in keeping him interrested also

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • williamNwilliamN Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the Barnett Banshee? I see them for $44. Is this ok for backyard use?
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I know nothing about them william. But I do believe that a used model is his best bet. Usually you can get them already set up to shoot(make sure it fits him), but if they're already set up, you will probably get one cheaper. Since he is not going to be shooting a lightning fast power bow, I would not worry about any damage that can not be seen with the naked eye.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    How about letting him make one then if he still shows intrest invest in one we did that when we were kids i think it was pretty cool.[8D]