In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what to buy??

mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently moved back to Pa. I need to buy a new Bow and some arrows. I have not bow hunted in 15 years. I have no idea what to buy and which brands are good / bad etc. Any suggestions on a bow, arrows, points, etc... Thanks. I would like to keep the bow under $350, if possible.

muss

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    E-mail Nebraskabowhunter and see if he still has his PSE or not. If you look through other topics on here, you'll see it. It's a nice bow, I tried getting a buddy of mine to buy it, but he didn't..

I see no problem in you staying under $350 for your setup. You can find good deals on bows a couple seasons old where someone NEEDS a brand new one. good luck

We sure got a lot of members in these forums from PA, mainly in the general discussion. hope to see ya around

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look on Ebay for a start up. They sometimes have good deals on the big brands. Go to your local pro shop first and see what your draw length is so you can make sure the bow you buy unseen will fit you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been looking on ebay and gb. I have heard good things about PSE, there are many for sale in each forum. Should I buy an older one for 100 - 200 or should I get a new one??? I will be doing a lot of hunting with this bow. I guess my question is, Is a "new" bow any better than one 2-3 years old. Second question, what model PSE's do you all like? What about arrows? Broadheads? Sights?

Thanks from a bow novice.

muss
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that price either find a used bow off ebay or local pro shop or even a pawn shop. The only problem I have with used bows is you don't know what kind of a person had it before you the could have been shooting arrows that were way too light out of it and stressed the limbs or even worse. I would look for a new bow for the price range you are talking about you might want to look at high country, darton, martin. Go to your local archery shop they should be able to set you up with something.
  • Options
    savage12bvss300wsmsavage12bvss300wsm Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are an experienced archer, stay away from used items bought over the internet. Well mainly the bows. Most end up buying something that does not fit them properly and then they show up at the bow shop wanting it fixed. Most shops will have a selection of used bows. If that is what you want. Accessories purchased on line are for the most part ok. You can always have NEW arrows cut to length. And there is usually no problem with sights, rests, or broadheads purchased on line either. But also consider this. A shop will charge you a good bit more for setting up a bunch of stuff that they did not sell you. So unless you know how to do it all yourself, go to your local pro shop and let them handle it for you.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Only some have film.
  • Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    muss, do you have a place to get checked for your draw length? Do you have an idea of the draw weight range you want to start out in? If so then I wouldn't be scared to buy a used bow, even with used sights on it. Your gonna have to adjust new sights to... Get yourself a bow, buy a dozen new arrows (get the length you need) then get a pack of 100 grain field tips and three 100 grain broadheads and start shooting a lot.
    My old neighbor carved his own long bows, made his own arrows, and killed whitetail, mule deer, and elk every single year I lived next to him. Last time I spoke to him he wanted to make his own broadhead out of flint. (that tells me technology and exspensive equipment isn't everything [:D])

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After some resereach and talking to some family memebers, I thing I might go with a PSE firestorm center fire lite.
    You can check it out at this link.

http://www.pse-archery.com/Catalog/Compound/firestorm_lite_Centerfire.htm

I need to stop at the local shop and get measured and decide on a pull weight. Thanks for the advice.

I more question, should I buy this as a "kit" that comes with sights, pull, stabilizer,etc. or just a bow and then shop for the other items. I think I might want a pendulum sight, what do you think?

muss
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of goods bow companies out there. I recently purchased a new High Country bow for less then a used one. Do a search for High Country on ebay and look for new in box. I am very pleased with the quality and fit of mine. I am currently getting it set up.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    FletchMasterFletchMaster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cant go wrong with a New HCA I have one of the TSS carbon models, Max Xterme Aluminum and fixing to get the new PerFX aluminum all of them are awesome shooting bows!
    and if you are into speed they are warranted to shoot 3 grains per pound arrows I will also mention I am shooting my TSS with a 275 grain Speed Pro Max arrow 320 FPS and that is at 29" draw length on 70# at 40 yards the speed is still 292 FPS with 52 foot pounds of KE
    the new Per-FX is supposed to be even faster!

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest until youre Good Is Better and Youre Better Is Best!