In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Horny Worm!!

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
Any body see these horn worms on their tomatoe plants? http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/field/hornworm.htm
They can sure cause a lot of damage fast.
Here's some pics of my tomatoe plants. I've found 7 of them so far with minimal damage done so far.[:0]
PICT0007.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0011-1.jpg

Comments

• buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    found one on my left nut[:0][:D][:D]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    found one on my left nut[:0][:D][:D]

Buck what did the wife say? Oh it wasn't wearing a "cowboy hat" was it?[:D][:D][:0]
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter Mag, I get these on my maters every year as well. I call them cutworms and some people call them tobacco worms. Sevin dust will keep them away, but you must redust the plants after every rain and wash the fruit before eating. I've found these things 3" long and covered with white eggs. Apparently they reproduce by laying eggs that attach to the "motherworm" and get nutrition until they hatch. They sure can do some damage. They are extremely hard to find and are almost always hanging upside down on a branch. Little meanies!![}:)]
    edited November -1
    Dave, yes I did and I think I replied to your post last night. But I'm usually too busy BBQing with a few cold ones to spray the plants every time it rains.[:p] I use malathion for most everything else.
    For me it's easy to just keep an eye on the plants to see when leaves are missing. I'm constantly tying them up so I check them most every day. Plus after all these years I'm pretty good at spotting them. They're creatures of habbit. Most always near the top of the plants and close to the chewed leaves. Also I look for their droppings on the leaves. They're green when wet and black when dry. When I see the droppings on the leaves I look above and find them that way too.

Don, those white eggs are actually wasp eggs that eventually kill the worm. The leach off the worm untill they hatch.
    Here's a link that explains it. http://www.gardengrapevine.com/TomatoWorm.html
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I've always just called them tomatoe worms. They make irresistable catfish bait!!!

Ben
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought this topic was going to be about buckey's wife discussing his horny little worm[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    I thought this topic was going to be about buckey's wife discussing his horny little worm[:D]
    How did you kow I got a horny little worm .. you been peeking GAY BOY[:I]
    edited November -1
    Found another one of those bastiches on my plants today.
    My son had fun disecting it though.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    They're kinda purty![;)]
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No I have these, They form a Monarch Butterfly.

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00071-1.jpg
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've heard them called tobbaco worms and tomatoe worms, I've only seen them a couple times and plant dust has always seemed to take care of them for me.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    AH! zr, what direction is that worm goin'

Nice pics zr700.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Those also make excellent fishing bait. They got the little feelers that come out of their head when you touch them.

Ben
    edited November -1
    read an artical in todays paper that they are quite a problem here too.
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    read an artical in todays paper that they are quite a problem here too.

You can read? Damn, ya never cease to amaze me monkeyboy[:D][:D]