In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

survey

A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, so heres the deal, I have been limited on hunting this year because of school; therefore I am taking a lot more things into considereration, some of these things you might do or might not do every hunt...I wanna know[:D]

1) hunt a stand just because of the wind direction
2) wear a cover scent
3) wear your camo from your house, to the stand(Includes boots)
4) Use any human odor determinents (ex. shampoo, deoderant, etc.)
5) if you said yes to #2, what kind...(earth, estrus, etc.)
6) If you could give me any pointers this season please do so now [:)](I want to make every hunt count, since i can only hunt sat. and a few sundays...used to being able to drive fast home from school around 3 get my gear and go, not this year [:(].)

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. sometimes, then spray cover again
    4. yes
    5. i would have to go downstairs and look and I am lazy at the moment

I know how you feel with the school thing. It sucked. Now that I am in a crappy location it sucks even worse.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.usually, have a few permanent stands and two climbers so I try to use the right location with the wind direction but sometimes I just hunt the closest one to home just to get out quick.
    2.usually
    3.no,my gear is kept in shed outside all season and that is where I change and then go...
    4.yes
    5.doe urine,fox urine,a dab of apple flavored buck jam on the ground sometimes, I usually try to have something on/around for some cover scent..

6.If you hunt late afternoons,Take a flashlight and do not get out of stand until it is COMPLETLY DARK and I mean DARK!!!!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    soemtimes
    sometimes
    no
    yes
    Deer dander

wash clothes, shower up, get out there and hunt. Any time in the woods is good time spent.
  • LmbhngrLmbhngr Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. I am always aware of the wind and hunt it accordingly however, if it is not perfect, I have total faith in my Scent Blocker gear...it amazes me every year as it hides me from a whitetail's nose!

2. I spray down critical areas (hands, feet, neck, head, etc.) with a scent eliminator spray that has a fall blend or fresh earth scent to it and I always use Scent Wafers in Fresh Earth scent no matter where I hunt...tree or ground. I will also put fox urine or deer dander on my boots walking in. During the rut I like to use a drag line with an attractant, i.e. doe estrous, buck tarsal, etc.

3. I NEVER wear my outer layer of hunting clothes (Scent Blocker gear) when driving to my stand. It is transported and stored in Scent Blocker duffel bags year round. I NEVER wear my boots driving to my stand either. That is worse than wearing your outer layer. Your boots will pick up foreign odors off your floor mats that don't belong in the woods, number one being petroleum smells. In warmer weather I'll pack in my SB and put it on at the stand.

4. I don't and some of you may find it odd considering I take such precautions everywhere else but, my outer layers and scent eliminating sprays control it for me. I do shower depending on what I've been doing or where I've been.
  • poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never to all of them.
    I can hunt in my driveway. In fact may father-in-law did. He sat in his car in the driveway and shot his deer out of the window.
    I walk out on the property and climb a stand.
    I do not shoot the deer that feed in my yard.
    I kinda like them.
    The father-in-law shot the only deer my wife had named.
    At least here the deer do not seem to mind the scent as it is everywhere they go.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1--yes
    2--no
    3--yes
    4--no
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    1. Always. Mainly because the wind direction seems to influence how the deer move where I hunt.

2. No

3. I don't wear the outer layer. It is kept in a scent free bag until I put it on in the field. I wear a Scent-Lok suit.

4. I shower with scent elimination soap and shampoo and use scent elimination deodorant.

6. Buy a scouting camera and use it! Another thing. Don't focus on scrapes or rubs. Hunt were the does are. Look for places with lots of tracks. When the rut comes in the bucks will go to where the does are.
  • ENOS29ENOS29 Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sometimes
    yes
    sometimes
    yes
    deer dander
    HAVE FUN!