In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

On the serious side...

Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes, I know that me and "serious" generally don't go together but does anyone else think that the prices of new bows is getting out of hand? For the sake of this thread, this really doesn't have anything to do with one brand or another. I got a bow magazine (I didn't subscribe, just showed up) and there was an article about new bows for 2006. While I didn't look at all of them, they discussed the Hoyt Trykon (?) mathews switchback xt and a bowtech. ALL of the prices were pushing close to $700. I know that's pretty close to what I paid for my current Hoyt but I think these prices are getting rediculous! Especially when you have to add all of the other goodies on. So I was wondering what your all's thoughts on this were and what would be the most you'd be willing to pay for a new bow? Also, how often do you get a new bow. I remember not too many years ago where guys were getting new bows every two or three years.

Comments

• dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree that the price of almost all bows are getting quite high. Higher than I am willing to pay at this point. Yes Hoyt, Mathews, and Bowtech are spendy, but there are a few smaller names that have been reasonable. My friend bought a Martin last year for around $300. It's a nice bow. Not as fast or nice as the big dollar rigs, nut much better than most bows in that price range, new or used.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Well I'm In manufacturing. I can tell you with enegry cost and labor cost so high Our plant is probley spending 10-15% more so that cost is going to be passed on to the consumer.[:(] My mathews 32 was around $600 when I bought it new in like 1998 so I tink the prices are actually lower than what I would have expected... looking at it from an industry stand point.[xx(] ,,, as a consumer yea It's a chunk of change... I dont know about you guys.. and tha cost of living here is very high so I am a little imune to it.. a thousland dollars does not go very far. remember when it was a hundred dollars does not go far. heck the wife and I go out to dinner a coupkle of drinks and I can expect to drop the bettr part of a hundred bucks. now that sucks cause it turns into sh$$$ the next day at least my mathews still looks the same the next day....[8D]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Yep, they are high, wish they were lower. I have never bought a "new" bow. I keep hoping to but my wife keep tighting the leash. Not sure if I'll get one now or not. [V]
  • hsracer201hsracer201 Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree, they are getting pretty pricey. i think it is amazing that you can go get a nice 30-06 or glock for less than a high end bow. i've been toying with the idea of stepping up to a newer bow, but then i stop and think, "what will a new bow do that mine won't?" sure, it'll be about 10-15 fps faster, maybe help me shoot a 1" smaller group at 20 yards, but that's about it. this hobby, along with all others, produces a lot of the "keep up with the jones'" effect. maybe one day when i am more financially secure i can go buy a new bow every couple of years, but until then, i'll just stick with what works and what i can afford.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ussually get a new one every 2-3 years which means I will have to get a new one next year. Have to wait until January though when Mathews releases their new bow. As for the cost I don't think the price of the new bows is outrageous, but then again you could always get a martin, pse, darton, or other brand if you aren't up to paying 7 hundo for a new rig.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    those prices are for the top of the line items all lines of bows have a nice middle ground of between 450-and 500 for the same bow minus the hot new item the manufacturer comes out with each year. my new rule is kill at least 5 deer between bows I got 4 to go with my seminew hoyt
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well i am a cheapo and shoot a martin it is a little slow but at 20 -25 yards don't think the deer will jump the string but can't say that for sure haven't had a chance to take one with my bow yet
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Martin has bow(s) that are 700
    PSE has bows that are 700

hoyt has bows that are 300 (reflex)
    mathews has bows that are 400
    bowtech has bows that are 300 (whatever their off brand is)

If you are willing to get bows that are the new cream of the crop, you can get a bow that is resonably priced. My bow was under 500 last year, new, and guess what its a hoyt. Now my other bow, new would have been over 800, 500 dollar bow feels better then my more expensive bow.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave $600.00 for my Switchback....Not going to fork out other $700.00 for the XT,
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    sucks for you guys. my diamond only cost $525 new. SUCKAS[:D]
  • PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's just like everything else, the price just keeps going up[:(]
    My first new bow cost me $75 back in '81, man I'm getting old[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18

No they seen the "SUCKER" here WHEN YOU WALKED IN..[:D] 525 for a diamond bow, you got raped 299 at Gander Mt. but like I said they seen you coming.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

No they seen the "SUCKER" here WHEN YOU WALKED IN..[:D] 525 for a diamond bow, you got raped 299 at Gander Mt. but like I said they seen you coming.[:D]
    i saw that. there is more than 1 model you *******. i got the best one. that is the price of the cheapest one.[^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

i saw that. there is more than 1 model you *******. i got the best one. that is the price of the cheapest one.[^]

you didn't get the best(Mathews),you got a diamond[xx(]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:surekill Posted - 03/23/2006 : 11:06:14 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by DaBowMan18

quote:
    Originally posted by surekill

quote:

sucks for you guys. my diamond only cost $525 new. SUCKAS

No they seen the "SUCKER" here WHEN YOU WALKED IN.. 525 for a diamond bow, you got raped 299 at Gander Mt. but like I said they seen you coming.

i saw that. there is more than 1 model you *******. i got the best one. that is the price of the cheapest one.

you didn't get the bestHOYTyou got a diamond

Sorry about your typo... Fixed it for you! As for the price you got dabowboy, as long as you're happy with it, all else doesn't matter. I say that someone could give you a new bow (probably be a mathews cause they can't sell them) and someone would say they could have gotten a better deal. As long as you're happy who cares about the other guys.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 03/24/2006 : 07:00:59 AM

quote:
    surekill Posted - 03/23/2006 : 11:06:14 PM

quote:

quote:

quote:

No they seen the "SUCKER" here WHEN YOU WALKED IN.. 525 for a diamond bow, you got raped 299 at Gander Mt. but like I said they seen you coming.

i saw that. there is more than 1 model you *******. i got the best one. that is the price of the cheapest one.

you didn't get the WORST BOW OF ALL TIMEHOYTyou got a diamond

Sorry about your typo... Fixed it for you! As for the price you got dabowboy, as long as you're happy with it, all else doesn't matter. I say that someone could give you a new bow (probably be a mathews cause they can't sell them) and someone would say they could have gotten a better deal. As long as you're happy who cares about the other guys.

Sorry Slash I really hate incorrect corrections so I fixed it for ya[;)]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ah, man! I thought we had a truce?

Great! Now the all-knowing Gogo just got added to my list of people with hairy backs hopeing to someday weave it into a nice wool-type cap![xx(][:D][:o)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    quote:Slash0311 Posted - 03/24/2006 : 07:00:59 AM

quote:
    surekill Posted - 03/23/2006 : 11:06:14 PM

quote:

quote:

quote:

you didn't get the WORST BOW OF ALL TIMEHOYTyou got a diamond

Sorry Slash I really hate incorrect corrections so I fixed it for ya[;)]
    i am happy with by buy. love the bow. accurate, fast, and light. in a few years i plan on getting a new one. dont know what........could be a mathews or a hoyt.......