In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Everybody together now.

Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
WILD OKIE IS THE WORSE D-MN AND MOST UNLUCKY HUNTER ON THIS FORUM.

I can prove it too. Let's start with Friday .I know I have located the best spot where the turkeys are coming in. So I set up a blind so I can sneak in on Saturday morning. Well I get there about 15min later than I wanted to. I get set down and the mosquitoes are attacking from all directions. So while I'm spraying myself with Off .I am right up against the tree line. Eight to ten birds land right on top of me and scatter. I not kidding one hen almost came into the blind with me. So I'm sitting there thinking Well maybe this ain't the best spot.[:I]

60 yards away however there is a group of willows with some clumps of tall grass around them. So I decide to call it a day and go do my chores. I get out there this morning Just as light is breaking on the horizon. I'm not there more than ten minutes and I hear gobble gobble. I go to work with my box call .This goes on for ten to fifteen minutes. The first hen come into sight and she is clucking. From there it turns into a hunting video . Tom and his harem show up and he is in full display. At least ten hens . I keep carefully working my box call and they are getting closer. Then they start to turn. I stepped it off later and the shot was 36 yards. I caught this tom in full display facing me when I shot. I don't know how I didn't kill him. I'm using # 2 steel shot shells .I spent two and one half hours looking for him. My biggest fear is I mortally wounded him.[:(]

OK let the Okie Bashing begin. I deserve it.[B)]

Comments

• DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    you think thats bad!!??????i have been deer hunting for 2 years.....bow and gun......and havent got a deer yet[:I][:o)][V][:(]seen em' just have shot em' cause they arent "big" enough.......says my uncles
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here of late it seems I can't hit my butt with both hands if I were sittting on them.[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18
    you think thats bad!!??????i have been deer hunting for 2 years.....bow and gun......and havent got a deer yet[:I][:o)][V][:(]seen em' just have shot em' cause they arent "big" enough.......says my uncles
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Okie
    the shot was 36 yards.. I'm using # 2 steel shot shells .

Any specific reason your NOT using LEAD????[:0]
    I'll take a wild-stab and guess that thats your reason for not dropping him.[;)]
    If your laws allow{???}, I would go get some magnum lead-shot #4-5? and drop in your full or x-full choke,pattern it and try again. Lead or Heavi-shot retains a helluva lot more energy at that yardage than steel. But you probably know that!..Save the #2 steel for waterfouling...
    Better-luck next time....
    edited November -1
    I'm on the lake, but I don't know if I have to use steel shot. I was thinking of going to a #4 and I am at full choke. I was thinking of going to My 20 pump that I can use 3 in mag shells in. It has a poly choke and can be dialed in to get the best pattern. I appreciate any comments that anyone can give me on this issue .This is only my second year to turkey hunt .I have got a lot to learn..

quote:Originally posted by DIRTYRAT
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Okie
    the shot was 36 yards.. I'm using # 2 steel shot shells .

Any specific reason your NOT using LEAD????[:0]
    I'll take a wild-stab and guess that thats your reason for not dropping him.[;)]
    If your laws allow{???}, I would go get some magnum lead-shot #4-5? and drop in your full or x-full choke,pattern it and try again. Lead or Heavi-shot retains a helluva lot more energy at that yardage than steel. But you probably know that!..Save the #2 steel for waterfouling...
    Better-luck next time....
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't feel bad Okie, I missed one at 7 yards. I aimed above his head and didn't bother thinking at 7 yards I had no shot pattern at all. 2 days later I took my bow and killed one mounting my decoy.[:D] I didn't even let him finish his business[8D][}:)]
    edited November -1
    I think I'm hooked now. That was amazing to watch all that unfold. That ole tom was in full fan and strutten his stuff. Just to cool.

{quote]Originally posted by taco413
    Don't feel bad Okie, I missed one at 7 yards. I aimed above his head and didn't bother thinking at 7 yards I had no shot pattern at all. 2 days later I took my bow and killed one mounting my decoy.[:D] I didn't even let him finish his business[8D][}:)]
    [/quote]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I hear ya. It hurts to be outsmarted by an animal with a brain the size of a pea.[B)] But, it happens to the best of us.[;)]

Ben