In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bow at dick's sporting goods question

hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
i'm thinking of upgrading my bow . dick's has on sale a martin tracer . it sounds like a nice bow . some specs : 32 " axle to axle ,wieghs 3.9 lbs , one cam , 75% let off , includes assessory package- (quiver, rest ,sites) for 300 dollars . my friend was concerned with the length , too short . said it makes for an unforgiving shoot sometimes .is it too short ? anyone know what f.p.s. it will shoot at ?

the bow will be used for hunting deer only .i'm currently using a martin maverick with 65 % let off .

do i need to replace my old bow ? wrench .

ps - forgot to mention its all i can afford if buying a new one .

Edited by - hdwrench on 09/10/2002 23:05:44

Comments

• ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that if the bow fits you and you like it that is all that matters. Bowhuunting is a very personal sport and if your happy with this bow then you should buy it. A short bow is a little less forgiving than a longer one but seeing that the average bow shot is 20 yards or less who cares. Hunt Safe and Hunt often :D Most of my hunting buddies shoot the new Hoyt with mechanical broadheads but I shoot a Darton Maverick and Zwickey broadheads, Don't let anyone make you choices for you. Good luck and good bowhunting.
  • reel-guyreel-guy Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question to you would be what do you dislike in the Martin Maverick???

As Zwickey said most shots are short range.... My experience is that most folks are shooting way to heavy for whitetail. 50# to 60# is a good plenty.

If there is no burning reason to get rid of your old bow..... stick with it.

I shoot my old Martin Couger Mag and after nearly 25 years it still shoots nice.... and looks great!
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the old bow seems a little heavy and shoots slow .i thought the
    increase in speed would be nice .also i cannot get a pass thru
    with my arrow . it would increase the blood trail .

thanks , wrench .
  • jokor3jokor3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRY AN ARROW WITH A LITTLE MORE BACKBONE ALONG WITH EITHER THE ZWICKEY 2 BLADE OR ONE OF THE ROCKET MECHANICAL 3 BLADE BROADHEADS IN THE 85 TO 100 GR. SIZE.
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am trying the rocket broadheads this year . should i think of trying a carbon arrow ? what is a good deal going on them ?

wrench .
  • predator_hunterpredator_hunter Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good broadhead well Easton hads a new carbon out i think u can get 12 of them for about 50.00 some of my friends shoot them and they like them i shoot Beman ICS arrows they r about 70.00 for 12 after shooting carbon arrows i will never go back and i like the New Hoyt when i get a new bow that is what i am going to get and i think 32 inch is too short go longer min. 36 inch or longer i think u would be better off good luck