In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another How many?........

gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
I know here in Ga. That you are supposed to tag a deer before you move it... BUT.... NOONE tags a deer unless they take it to be mounted around here. So... you could actually shoot as many doe as you like and as many bucks as you like as long as you dont mount them in the same year. So...since we dont have check stations, with the exceptions of hunting on WMAs, pretty much everyone hunts what they like and the limit still keeps going up...

sooooo My question is: How many states REQUIRE hunters to check in their kills? (Ya know where there is really no way to get around it....)

edit: now you do HAVE to carry tags with you... if you have them with you then everything is fine.

its all about pucks and bucks
smilie_schuetze.gif

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    mine sure does. In fact, you would not want to be caught walking out of the woods with an untagged deer.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, I wonder how many more people will get fined this year trying to not tag a deer since Illinois apparently is going to call in your kill instead of a check station.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! anim_beer.gif
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but I think calling in your kill is a really dumb idea.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

I totally agree, I hope if they do this it will be just experimental and won't fly so they'll keep it just like it is. I did hear it was going to be for archery, but firearm season would still be check stations. You hear anything about it in yer neck of the woods Ben, or for that matter anyone hear anything about Illinois check stations?

• gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We do have check stations but they are all volunteer, you are not required to check you deer in. The fine if you get caught with a deer that is not tagged is something I would like to pay.
    edited November -1
    I've heard very little about it Taco.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    We have 24 hours in which to check a deer.
    I have heard of guys tagging the deer take it home in the freezer then put the tag back in your pocket. I would never do anything like this[}:)][}:)][;)] Ya cant move the deer till ya have a tag on it. How do I know this????[B)] gun taken away lost deer and got a hefty fine. Remember I have only heard of others reusing the tag[:I][:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Indiana, we have 48 hours to take our deer to a check station. CWD is a concern here so some deer heads are kept for checks. We are not supposed to move the deer unless a prorperly filled out tag is on it. I personally don't know if anyone who got caught but I am sure it happens.

One other crazy thing about our state is the "bonus antlerless" tags. It varies by county and a person is supposed to look at the regs and see how many deer can be taken in that county. Problem is if I am hunting in lets say Pike county and have killed twice the legal number, they have no way of knowing in the field how many I have taken in that county. All I have to do when I check it in is to say I took it in Warrick county. On paper, as long as I don't check in more than the limit for a county, I'm good. You are supposed to buy a new tag for each deer except those that have a lifetime license, like me! (hope this made sense and we don't have to check the deer in the county we killed it in.)

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ohio also has 48 hours or is it 24? Getting caught with a deer without a tag on it is a big big no no here. Not that people don't do it, to me it is just not worth it.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Iowa you have 15 mins. to tag it or before you move which ever comes 1st. We have no check stations but the fine is a stuff 1 if caught with out a tag
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have to tag in OK before moving the animal and then get a carcass tag from the check station.If we give meat away we have to give name address and all pertinent information.[:o)]

MLMorgan
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We use our own home-made "Land-Owner" tags but we still have to tag them immedietly and check them in at a checking station within 24 hrs...Oh, I'm in OHI

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • furhollerfurholler Member Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In MO, we have to tag it before we touch it. Then we can register by phone, internet, or take it in. The tag then must stay with the meat until it is consumed, or the gestapo will * ya.

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains...No free government, or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue: and by a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles."-Patrick Henry
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    I know here in Ga. That you are supposed to tag a deer before you move it... BUT.... NOONE tags a deer unless they take it to be mounted around here. So... you could actually shoot as many doe as you like and as many bucks as you like as long as you dont mount them in the same year. So...since we dont have check stations, with the exceptions of hunting on WMAs, pretty much everyone hunts what they like and the limit still keeps going up...

sooooo My question is: How many states REQUIRE hunters to check in their kills? (Ya know where there is really no way to get around it....)

edit: now you do HAVE to carry tags with you... if you have them with you then everything is fine.

smilie_schuetze.gif

There are so many ethical problems with that senario I don't know where to start...in Iowa that would be called poaching. We have more problems each year with non-resident hunters bringing southern style bubba hunting techniques to our state. Don't need anymore redneck hunting hunting habits & publicity tainting the hunting sports.

Every year the biggest busts made by the state DNR are Arkansas, Georgia, Louisianna, and Miss hunters. It's a culture I hope doesn't spread north.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not ONLY NON RES. I know of a bunch that live here do it[:(!]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    It's not ONLY NON RES. I know of a bunch that live here do it[:(!]

that is the problem that pisses me off the most.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

I totally agree, I hope if they do this it will be just experimental and won't fly so they'll keep it just like it is. I did hear it was going to be for archery, but firearm season would still be check stations. You hear anything about it in yer neck of the woods Ben, or for that matter anyone hear anything about Illinois check stations?

Taco- they did go the call in route this year. I just got my Weldon Springs site permit and it says right on the rules in big bold print "YOU MUST USE THE STATE CALL IN CHECK SYSTEM". I too think this a terrible idea. [V]

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    Bang, it's going to be for every deer season we have this year, bow and firearm both will be call in. By next year they're going to do away with the pins, if they don't do it this year.

• gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rembrandt

There are so many ethical problems with that senario I don't know where to start...in Iowa that would be called poaching. We have more problems each year with non-resident hunters bringing southern style bubba hunting techniques to our state. Don't need anymore redneck hunting hunting habits & publicity tainting the hunting sports.

Every year the biggest busts made by the state DNR are Arkansas, Georgia, Louisianna, and Miss hunters. It's a culture I hope doesn't spread north.

What exactly about Georgia is unethical? The laws are the laws and if you follow them there is nothing un ethical about what we do. It is NOT a law that we have to check a deer in anywhere. I would also LOVE to see where you get your info on the biggest busts by the DNR being in the states you listed... I for one think southern culture needs to spread northward. Then maybe males would act like gentlemen and yankee kids would learn that they dont have a choice.. they WILL say yes sir and no sir.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by taco413
    Bang, it's going to be for every deer season we have this year, bow and firearm both will be call in. By next year they're going to do away with the pins, if they don't do it this year.

WHAT!!!! No pins!!! How will I show these animal lovers I work with how many of their furry friends I have killed. sorry harvested. Guess I'll just have to talk louder about my hunts.

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
    edited November -1
    Yea thats why all the wackos on cops are from Georgia Missisippi florida Carolina's. Also Columbine high thats up norh isint it[B)] Yes mame I think Ill kill some innocent students today. I think your nut job for lumping all northerners together and calling us Yankees[xx(] That war has been over for.200 years Now go back inside your trailer You toothless hill-billie I've been down South they say Sir yes Mame but they dont mean it.[:(!][:(!][:(!] OH by the way you lost that warin case ya havent heard[:o)] which makes you a yankee weather you like it or not. Pissed off go buy a bow insted of making imbasill comments. Our children have plenty of dicipline and need not say yes sir no sir too prove it.
    edited November -1
    Buckey I was insulted as a southerner first or did you not read that part?
    A Yankee is someone born north of the Mason Dixon line. I was born in Georgia and will forever be a southerner. I will NEVER be a Yank because I will never live up north. It has nothing to do with the War anymore. Is is the same as saying someone born in Texas is a Texan.

I have never lived in a trailer and never will.

I have all my teeth and take very good care of them and the rest of my body.

Columbine was in Colorado since when was that the south? Did you fail geography?

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Talking about if a state is ethical or some of the people in it is not an insult to you there are bad apples everywhere You specificly singled out people from up north men are not gentlemen and that their children need not have a choice that type of comment has no place on this forum YANKEE what the hell is that[?][?][?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    Talking about if a state is ethical or some of the people in it is not an insult to you there are bad apples everywhere You specificly singled out people from up north men are not gentlemen and that their children need not have a choice that type of comment has no place on this forum YANKEE what the hell is that[?][?][?]

quote:
    We have more problems each year with non-resident hunters bringing southern style bubba hunting techniques to our state. Don't need anymore redneck hunting hunting habits & publicity tainting the hunting sports.
    end quote

I no more singled out anyone than that comment did. He singled out southerners and I simply pointed out a fault in what I have seen with northeners.

oh and Columbine is considered the second deadliest school attack. The worst was the Bath School attack in Michagan. Oh I guess that is a southern state too.....[:0]

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    No As a matter of fact I was an Honor-Roll in geography. Also in Electronics math. A person who lives above the Mason Dixon line in my definition would be considered a Northerner and below a Southerner. NOT A REBEL Why are you a Southerner and me a Yankee.[?] People up North dont like being called Yankee. Like you dont like being called REBEL. Lets just drop it[xx(] Thats not what this forum is for I will be happy to discuss this on a general political forum and show you some stats on IQ tests and Crime drunkeness Look at Miami alone Thats the dude of the US theres somthing to be proud of police the southern states.then comment on the North.
    edited November -1

No As a matter of fact I was an Honor-Roll in geography. Also in Electronics math. A person who lives above the Mason Dixon line in my definition would be considered a Northerner and below a Southerner. NOT A REBEL Why are you a Southerner and me a Yankee.[?] People up North dont like being called Yankee. Like you dont like being called REBEL. Lets just drop it[xx(] Thats not what this forum is for I will be happy to discuss this on a general political forum and show you some stats on IQ tests and Crime drunkeness Look at Miami alone Thats the dude of the US theres somthing to be proud of police the southern states.then comment on the North.

Call me a rebel any day. Does not bother me one bit. And if you think for one second that Miami is populated by southerners you need to take a vacation. Oh and if you were honor roll in geography then you would have realized that infact Columbine IS up north.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 07/18/2005 : 09:20:53 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by Rembrandt

What exactly about Georgia is unethical? The laws are the laws and if you follow them there is nothing un ethical about what we do. It is NOT a law that we have to check a deer in anywhere. I would also LOVE to see where you get your info on the biggest busts by the DNR being in the states you listed... I for one think southern culture needs to spread northward. Then maybe males would act like gentlemen and yankee kids would learn that they dont have a choice.. they WILL say yes sir and no sir.

quote:gagirl Posted - 07/15/2005 : 09:40:47 AM
    I know here in Ga. That you are supposed to tag a deer before you move it... BUT.... NOONE tags a deer unless they take it to be mounted around here. So... you could actually shoot as many doe as you like and as many bucks as you like as long as you dont mount them in the same year.

I think you answered your own question. The unethical part is just because you don't have a mandatory check station it is NOT a license to go on a killing spree. I for one am appauled that you do not condone this behavior but seem to be more supportive of it. This leads me to belive that Rembrandts view of southerners hunting methods although a bit rough is correct. I am also in agree that northern states do not need this type of publicity when it comes to hunting, furthermore I think you southerners could use a healthy dose or northern reality i.e. follow the rules as they are there for a reason.
    edited November -1
    Ok you win[:)] All as I know is Jeff Foxworthy made millions making people laugh about Bubba the redneck trailer living toothless duffus.[:0] I believe this is in refrence to the South. Also Miss Smarty pants Colorado is located in the Mid West with Kansas on the East border and Utah on it's Western border. DUHHHHHH[:o)]
    edited November -1
    Group hug!!!![^]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    I think you answered your own question. The unethical part is just because you don't have a mandatory check station it is NOT a license to go on a killing spree. I for one am appauled that you do not condone this behavior but seem to be more supportive of it.

gagirl Posted - 07/15/2005 : 09:40:47 AM
    I know here in Ga. That you are supposed to tag a deer before you move it... BUT.... NOONE tags a deer unless they take it to be mounted around here. So... you could actually shoot as many doe as you like and as many bucks as you like as long as you dont mount them in the same year.

you guys sure like to put words in people's mouths. I never said I condoned it or supported it. I personally have NEVER killed my limit and never would go over my limit. I do believe I saw others on this forum talking about useing other people's tags... is that not the same thing? Why yes... it is... ...[?]

Bucky if you want to get into excatly where states are yes Columbine is in the MW. It is however, definately not a southern state which is what you elluded to in your first comment about it.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 07/18/2005 : 10:42:03 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by buckeyboy

No As a matter of fact I was an Honor-Roll in geography. Also in Electronics math. A person who lives above the Mason Dixon line in my definition would be considered a Northerner and below a Southerner. NOT A REBEL Why are you a Southerner and me a Yankee. People up North dont like being called Yankee. Like you dont like being called REBEL. Lets just drop it Thats not what this forum is for I will be happy to discuss this on a general political forum and show you some stats on IQ tests and Crime drunkeness Look at Miami alone Thats the dude of the US theres somthing to be proud of police the southern states.then comment on the North.

Call me a rebel any day. Does not bother me one bit. And if you think for one second that Miami is populated by southerners you need to take a vacation. Oh and if you were honor roll in geography then you would have realized that infact Columbine IS up north.

Um Buckey does realize Columbine is up north, if you would take the time to read his post and not get so worked up.
    quote:buckeyboy Posted - 07/18/2005 : 09:51:09 AM
    Yea thats why all the wackos on cops are from Georgia Missisippi florida Carolina's. Also Columbine high thats up norh isint it

Gagirl I hope you realize that not everyone holds a stereotypical view of the south. Although some southerners make it difficult sometimes.
    edited November -1
    GoGo if you dont realize that he was being a smart * with his Columbine statement... then you missed something

and some northerners make my point come across very well too

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    No YOU MAKE THAT POINT COME ACROSS QUITE WELL ALL BY YOURSELF.[^]ALSO IF GA HAS SUCH GOOD HUNTING PRACTICES WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DOES? EVERYONE WHO HUNTS KNOWS THAT WEAKENS THE HERDS GENETICS.[:(]WHOSE THE ROCKET SCIENTEST WHO THOUGHT THIS ONE UP[?]YOU ONLY HAVE TO TAG IT IF YOUR GOING TO MOUNT IT. I THINK BUBBA HAD HAND IN THAT LEGISLATIVE VOTE. OR DID HE WRITE THE BILL???
    edited November -1
    You had a point? What was it? I am terribly sorry I don't pick up on the sarcasm you saw in Buckey's statement. Everyone knows that Columnbine High School is in Colorado, to even suggest that is in the south makes absolutely no sense. You seem to be going into defense mode anytime anyone has anything to say about the south. It is quite comical actually.
    edited November -1
    No YOU MAKE THAT POINT COME ACROSS QUITE WELL ALL BY YOURSELF.[^]ALSO IF GA HAS SUCH GOOD HUNTING PRACTICES WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DOES? EVERYONE WHO HUNTS KNOWS THAT WEAKENS THE HERDS GENETICS.[:(]WHOSE THE ROCKET SCIENTEST WHO THOUGHT THIS ONE UP[?]YOU ONLY HAVE TO TAG IT IF YOUR GOING TO MOUNT IT. I THINK BUBBA HAD HAND IN THAT LEGISLATIVE VOTE. OR DID HE WRITE THE BILL???

read.... as I said in my first post...That you are supposed to tag a deer before you move it... BUT.... NOONE tags a deer unless they take it to be mounted around here.

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Can't we all just agree that rebs are inbred and polite, and Yanks are sexy and cool and loving and hip and good hunters and good fishermen and cool and smart and stuff.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    You had a point? What was it? I am terribly sorry I don't pick up on the sarcasm you saw in Buckey's statement. Everyone knows that Columnbine High School is in Colorado, to even suggest that is in the south makes absolutely no sense. You seem to be going into defense mode anytime anyone has anything to say about the south. It is quite comical actually.

I guess everything was 100% fine with Buckey going into defensive mode about the north. Nothing comical about that huh?

I made a blanket statement of the things I have seen while traveling up north although Buckey made personal statements about someone he has never met. Yet, I am still the one in the wrong... come on...

smilie_schuetze.gif
    edited November -1
    Can't we all just agree that rebs are inbred and polite, and Yanks are sexy and cool and loving and hip and good hunters and good fishermen and cool and smart and stuff.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

YEA!!!! What he said[:D] cept fer the inbred part.

edited November -1
    quote:gagirl Posted - 07/18/2005 : 11:24:12 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by gogolen

I guess everything was 100% fine with Buckey going into defensive mode about the north. Nothing comical about that huh?

I made a blanket statement of the things I have seen while traveling up north although Buckey made personal statements about someone he has never met. Yet, I am still the one in the wrong... come on...

The comical part lil lady is that you are very predictable because you always get defensive about the south.
    edited November -1
    Damn straight!!! When someone talks crap about southerners I will defend myself in a heartbeat. I guess you expect me to roll over and take insults because I am a woman. Screw that. I will stand up and defend myself everytime. Maybe that's just another southern thing...

smilie_schuetze.gif