In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fletching question

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello All!

Well, I am new, sort of, to the sport of bowhunting. I bowhunted some in my younger years, but have recently decided to re-visit it and am growing quite fond of it.

I recently purchased a 2008 Bowtech General (new) with a QAD drop away rest, Cobra Boomslang sight, Easton ST Excel 400 Carbon Arrows with 2" Blazer vanes. I must say, the equipment nowdays is far more advanced than when I bowhunted back in high school, making me a better shot (at least in my book).

On to my question... I have several arrows that need to be re-fletched and am considering doing it myself. However, I am having a hard time determining my fletching configuration. I am sure that they are not straight vanes, but am sure that they are either a left offset configuration or a left helical. I don't think they are left helical. Can anyone tell me for sure whithout seeing one of my arrows? Do blazer vanes even come helical? Sorry if this is a silly question, as mentioned above, I am just now getting back into all of this.

By the way... do any of you fletch your own arrows? Any suggestions? I was looking at the Bohning Fletching Jig... any experience with that?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that in the "olden days"[;)], all arrows had a left helical twist due to the turkey feathers natural lay. In my present set up I a using bi-delta vanes with a left helical twist. I have been told that, as I am a right handed shooter, I should switch to a right helical.

Any truth to that, or am I just getting the hot air treatment. As of right now I am consistently printing tight fist sized groups out to 40 yards.[?]

Pictures%2FGeronimo%5FCrest.gif
  • Options
    sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instrument
    Tons of theories but facts are fairly clear. If your shooting fist sized groups at forty yards regularly, it doesn't matter if you are tying hummingbirds to your arrows for fletch. Right hand twist for right hand shooters is for fletch clearance at the arrow rest. As long as you have good arrow flight (i.e. wobbleing or bucking arrow as it leaves the bow) don't change a thing. In the words of somebody famous " if it aint broke, don't fix it"!!
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Quit trying to fix what ain't broke. And not all arrows had helical anything.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I saw a native american arrow maker on TLC the other night. Most Feather Fletchings (if not all) are made from wing feathers. The Right wing twists right. The Left wing twists left. He said the only critical rule on twist is making sure all the feathers come from the same wing. Good luck this season.
    Ben
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    All i know about this is that i just spent 65 bucks for a dozen arrows at the shop tonight
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You use one wing or the other for the pair and one from the other side for the odd fletch. Four fletch means you don't have to worry about the odd fletch. The last dowzen I bought, wood with feather is the only thing allowed for the game I play(SCA), cost me $50 Cdn. Couple years back. Had a nice 40 pound recurve with a dozen 4 fletch arrows, in a case and all my bits and pieces, stolen several years ago.
  • Options
    marinerahmarinerah Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 2 cents!!!!! Depends on how fast your bow shoots. Slower speed needs more stabilization during flight, hence helical fletching. I used to shoot my bow with 100lb. draw, 4 inch overdraw, carbon arrows, no helical, straight fletching, and it shot incredible. Its all preference, trial and error. Good luck.