In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wife has moose permit

tetoncountytetoncounty Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
My wife and I are both bowhunters, and she is considering moving up to big game from small game and turkey. She is a long time rifle hunter, taking sheep, elk, moose, deer and antelope.This year she drew an antlered moose permit, and she is considering taking it with a bow.
I've been bowhunting for decades, currently a PSE, 68# bow, carbons, 100 gr. muzzies. This outfit has performed very well for me on large elk. Formerly I used aluminum and 125 gr. mechanicals, with same poundage and equally good results.
here's my question: I'm trying to advise my wife, but my experience has all been at a draw weight that she can't approach.She is shooting carbon, with 100gr. muzzies, but her draw weight will never exceed 50#. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken large elk or moose with bows in this weight range, with recommendations on tackle.Please, no armchair speculation-I'd rather hear from someone who's done it or guided or hunted with someone who has. I should also state that she has set her upper range limit for this hunt at 25 yards, which is a realistic goal for Wyoming moose.Thanks for your help.

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=102928

Read this thread on broad heads. Penetration will be paramount.

Ben
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be getting her over to the store to buy lottery tickets, congratulations on the permit. The new trend is to go to small fixed blade broadheads as they do not take any of the energy away from the arrow. Look at this website it has a pretty in depth scoring system for different types of broadheads you might be looking at.

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

I have been looking into the G5 broadheads lately as my dad has just switched over to them and they are made in Memphis MI about 5 miles from where I live.
  • tetoncountytetoncounty Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're right about the lottery tickets, gogolen. She drew a sheep permit the first year we were married- I'd been applying for years at that point. this is grounds for divorce in Wyoming. I also forgot to mention that she has drawn a goat permit- more people are struck by lightning in this state than draw goat permits.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tetoncounty
    You're right about the lottery tickets, gogolen. She drew a sheep permit the first year we were married- I'd been applying for years at that point. this is grounds for divorce in Wyoming. I also forgot to mention that she has drawn a goat permit- more people are struck by lightning in this state than draw goat permits.

LOL, man that is to funny. Your wife definately has the gift there.
    Good luck to you both and I envy you very much....
    Can't help at all with elk/moose achery results though [:(] maybe someday hopefully

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • pacyewpacyew Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear of your wife's good fortune.

Take heart! A 500 grain plus arrow with a solid cut-on-contact broadhead will certainly do the trick out of her 50# bow. Bowhunters have been killing Moose with outfits like this for many years.

Moose have got a huge chest/lung area - any arrow through these big lungs generally has them down fairly quickly. Despite their size they are difficult to bring down.

A good full cut (cut on contact) two blade will penetrate best - Magnus, or Zwickey or Grizzly or an STOL. This and the heavier overall shaft are the ticket.

Just get real close and make that shot something aft of the beam - ya oughta do just fine.[:D]