In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coyotes come in close enough for bow

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
I know bang does some coyote hunting, but does anyone else? Have any of you tried to call them in and shoot them with a bow? A friend of mine thinks we should try this and use a crossbow, I think he's crazy. I would like to get a new caller that uses CD's and try blasting a few with a shotgun or rifle. What kind of stuff do you do/use for coyotes?

Comments

• taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt about 2-4 times a season with a friend, he has some digital remote caller that has about every sound on it you could imagine. He even has a distressed kitten on it. I think the thing cost him like 250 bucks[:0] I'm not into it that much so I just go with him and blast what I can.

Better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Do you guys use rifles when you call? Your friends caller, it has all the sounds programmed in it? You don't change cd's or tapes?
    edited November -1
    Use rifles, and all the sounds are programmed into his caller. I use a .308 savage with a sabotted .55 grain v-max bullet, it's a .223 size sabotted into a .308. Shoots around 4100 fps outta my bolt gun and sure is a flat shootin sob[:D] Leaves a little hole in and a little hole out.

edited November -1
    That's the way I do it now, when I go. I use a 222 or a 6mm. Have you had many or any coyotes come in close enough for bow? I don't think my buddy is thinking this plan out very far. [:D]
    edited November -1
    During bow season I have but when yote huntin I never let em get a chance to get within bow range[:D]

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Ive tried it not with a bow but rather a shotgun it is pretty fun. last bow season I would mess around with a call in my stand if I knew no deer were coming. It was kind of stupid of me what i did. I started blowing that damn thing right before dark and got all the yotes howling all around me then it got dark out now im 15 feet up in a tree and its dark out and there are yotes all around me howling. i took a look through my peep and all i saw was dark. that was a fast walk how for me i felt like i was being hunted

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.
  • 257robertsimp257robertsimp Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In indiana I call at night with mouth calls. I use my turkey gun with #4 buckshot in it. This is very effective to about 60 yards. I use a 257 roberts during daylight hours.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I use a 22-250, I have a mouth reed distress and a couple sceery distress calls and a howler. I would prefer the digital that taco talks about but it I can't convince the wife that I need it. [:D] I think once we get a little farther into winter or at least some winter like weather around here calling will be more effective. The only time I have seen them close enough for a bow was from a tree stand. Although I have thought, with the digital call and a tree stand a bow would work fine. Just my thoughts of course.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
    edited November -1
    Well then I think I might just take my gun money stash and start looking at digital callers. I don't want to use a bow though, I need to start going out more with a rifle or shotgun.
    I got an old Johnny Stewart cassette caller with wires attached to the speaker, it crackles when you play it. Might be good for turkey [;)] I've had it since 8th ot 9th grade, bout time to update probably.
  • BakuMaxBakuMax Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey!

Why not dress up like a dead sheep, bring along a good book. Wait till you fall asleep, then when a coyote bites you on the butt, kill him with your Swiss Army Knife![:D]

Happy New Years, y'all! I'm in North Carolina for the last of my three weeks' vacation. Will return to Azerbaijan next Monday.

Do no harm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BakuMax
    Hey!

Why not dress up like a dead sheep, bring along a good book. Wait till you fall asleep, then when a coyote bites you on the butt, kill him with your Swiss Army Knife![:D]

Happy New Years, y'all! I'm in North Carolina for the last of my three weeks' vacation. Will return to Azerbaijan next Monday.

Tried that already, but some farmer came after me instead. [:D][;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    I hope you heard his zipper in time[:0][:I]

Sorry I had to!

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
    edited November -1
    [:I] Yes, of course I did! [:D]
    I wondered if anyone would catch that. [;)]
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We bow hunt for turkey out of tents and have on several occations have them come in towards our decoy close enough (35yds.) to shoot. Have had deer do the same! Stay Safe............................
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a beautiful red fox within bow range while deer hunting. Just looked at him then, but told myself if I was out there again, I would shoot him, would be a nice mount. After that i seen him several times, but never within bow range again.