In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bow Shop Owners/Managers---MORONS!!!

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
Okay, now that I've got THAT off my chest let me get my question on the floor so maybe somebody can answer it.

I've been to a few bow shops over the last few months just checking things out. I was curious about my draw length so I pick up one of those draw=length thinga-ma-jigs. I draw it back and am at around 28.5". The guy at the bow shop tells me that I need a bow with a 29-29.5" draw length if I am going to use a release. Another guy at another bow shop said that I would need a bow between 27" and 28" if I am going to use a release. One moron added the length of a typical release and one guy subtracted it. It seems to me that you would subtract it since you aren't drawing the string back as far.

When you use those draw-length measuring devices, do you add or subtract when trying to determine what draw length you need in a bow if you plan to use a release?

I am a complete and total cherry when it comes to archery so feel free to call me an idiot if I'm not making sense.

Comments

• sealyonsealyon Member Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman.......To quote an idiot "I feel your pain". Seems like a lot of archery dealers went hunting a few years and consider themselves "experts". Not all of them but a lot. Draw length may be shorter with a release (normal) or it could be the same. Not Longer. Release does not shorten your forearm. I don't have info on individual releases since I shoot with fingers. When using fingers, they don't get left home by accident and if I drop them out of the tree, the rest of me will be following closely..........

God put stupid people on earth just to test me
  • RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will depend in part on wheather ir not you change your anchor point when using a release. I did and actually made the draw length longer.
    Went from tucking the string into my chin to pulling back by my ear.
  • marinerahmarinerah Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you didnt already do so, you gotta bring your release with you when you go to the shop. Like rhonda said, different anchor point for different releases, hence, effecting draw length. Good luck!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best thing to do, is bring a release with you, not worry about your draw length, and have it set up where it is appropriate. According to my measurements I have a 28" draw. The last bow I owned, was set up at 28". The bow I have been using for the past couple of years, is et at 29", which "feels" perfect. I am using the same release, and my arms didnt grow any. Who knows, if I buy another bow, it might be right at 27".

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
  • 3dhunter3dhunter Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I actual use the 72" wingspan metheod, which is a fingers 29". What ever the shop uses, it will only get you in the ballpark. If they measure you and tell you thats what you are period, here's your bow, give it back to them and leave. A good shop will get you close, then fine tune the bow you want, with in your range, he'll fit the bow to you, not you to it.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy cow talk about a OLD POST..[:D]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill

lol

i started reading, and the first two sentences and was like, wait a minute, Iraq has bow shops? [;)]
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    ya i guess......[:p]
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    wait a minuit here. you bow hunt and you dont knoe your own Draw length?[:0]

You go to have your Draw length measured and dont bring your release.[:0]

HMMMMMMMM.[:I]
    Most Bows today have a dead stop draw so the length stays really consistant.

I dont think you can or should lable all bow shops as idiots ..cause the ones that I go to around here they are very knowlgeable.[;)]
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy
    wait a minuit here. you bow hunt and you dont knoe your own Draw length?[:0]

You go to have your Draw length measured and dont bring your release.[:0]

HMMMMMMMM.[:I]
    Most Bows today have a dead stop draw so the length stays really consistant.

I dont think you can or should lable all bow shops as idiots ..cause the ones that I go to around here they are very knowlgeable.[;)]

This post is 3 years old.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyboy

I think you can or should lable all bow shops as idiots ..cause the ones that SALE HOYTS ARE!.[;)]

lmao Had to rewrite it for ya Buckey
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    the real question is who is 3dhunter and why did he respond to a really old thread.
  • buckeyboybuckeyboy Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November -1
    Holy crap[:I] I diddent even check the date. now i've become the MORON[:I]