In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hoyt bow help

fishnicfishnic Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
If you buy the Hoyt Ultramag in 50-60 poundage and lets say down the road you want to move up to lets say I want to shoot 80 pounds down the road. What would i need to do to make that possible?

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different cams and probably different limbs. I am not sure what the deflection the limbs have, but I would assume that limbs for the 50-60 pound range would not work with 80 pounds.

Why would you want a 80 pound bow anyways? There is nothing in north america that you can't kill with a 60-70 pound bow with 100 grain arrow.

BTW, the Ultramag is a sweet shooting bow for the price!
  • Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A local shop would be able to help beef up the bow but WHY would you want to shoot 80 pounds? My hunting set-up is about 65 pounds and my speed is 260-270 fps. This has been more than enough to go clean through several whitetails. In my opinion, anything over 70 pounds is just making you strain when you are trying to pull it back possiblly tipping off your game.

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • shellyshelly Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    limbs are what you would need..just like when you take a 70 pound bowtech and reduce it down to a 50 ...mathews is the same....just change the limbs. I do have a couple of guys that shoot a 80 pounder but most of the guys shoot 65 pounds - 70 pounds..

shelly